Chunin Exams: Preliminary

-Akari-

We all waited outside of Kurenai's place, she said she wanted to treat us to lunch. Then it was decided Team 10 would be joining us. I was fine with that it, it just meant I got to see Shikamaru. Neither of us had really left the village like the members of Team 7, but we've been so busy there been no time to talk. I was excited to catch up with him and see how things were going for him.

"Hey guys!" I flicked my head up at the sound of Ino's voice. The blonde was smiling and waving as she led her team members up to the four of us. I ran up and hugged Shikamaru earning a grunt from him.

"Aye get off Akari." Shikamaru groaned shoving me a little bit, I jumped back and smiled at him.

"How have you guys been?" Kiba looked at the group of three, and they probably would of answered if it hadn't been for Kurenai and Asuma walking out of Kurenai's together smiling and laughing with one another.

They were.. flirting? All seven of us watched smugly as the two still hadn't caught on we were watching them. Finally Kiba and Shikamaru both made an "eh hem" noise, and they both looked at us as if we were catching them doing something... private ... Kurenai's face went back to its normal tough look and I just smiled at our squad leader. So she was falling for none other than Asuma Sarutobi, well I guess if you're going to be a daughter in-law might as well go big and be the Third Hokage's daughter in-law.

"Uh, hey kids, lets get going." Asuma smirked and led the way to the restaurant.

All nine of us sat at a long table, I was sitting next to Shikamaru and Hinata, while Kiba sat across from me with Akamaru sitting proudly on his head. Kurenai and Asuma seemed to make it a point to not sit by each other, and sat at opposite ends of the table. Ino was sitting on the other side of Shikamaru and we both shared a look, I nodded letting her know I was on board.

"So Asuma-sensei, tell me, what are you hobbies?" I looked at the man who gave me a weird look, but washed down his food with his drink.

"Don't have too much time for hobbies, have to worry about my squad, they're trouble makers." Asuma smiled.

"You know, come to think about it, you've been cutting training sessions earlier than usual, and you've been rushing off somewhere after missions." Ino smirked, and I glanced at her with the same look.

"Really? That's weird, Kurenai has been strangely happier here lately, laughing at Kiba's weird jokes more often." My tone of voice was shocked, but the kind of shocked that you knew I was being dramatic.

"Hmph, I wonder what's been going on, don't you Akari?" Ino and I looked around the table, and all of the boys were giving us a look of 'are you two okay?' while Hinata had a small smile on her face letting me know she at least caught on. Kurenai and Asuma though were a different story. Their faces were so red they looked like they were about to explode.

"So!" Kurenai called out and drew our attention back towards her, all three girls still smirking, "Team 8, before our food gets out I have these for you." She passed me four pieces of paper and I handed them out to my teammates.

"You recommended us for the chunin exams?" Kiba and I spoke at the same time, both of us overly excited over it.

"Damn Kurenai, beat me to telling my team." Asuma sighed and handed Ino their papers.
All of us smiled at our sensei. The chunin exams huh?

I wonder if Sasuk- I mean Team 7 had been recommended too.

"You guys just have to fill these out, it's completely up to you, if you don't feel up to it don't worry about it." Asuma reassured all of us.

"Just fill them out and meet at room 301 five days from now." Kurenai confirmed.

Our food was placed out in front of us and I smiled happily before digging in.

•••

Kiba and I were standing in the wooded area behind his house getting ready to practice the trio move that he, Akamaru, and I were working on. It was always strange seeing them during this particular move though. This is when they used the Beast Mimicry technique. Akamaru usually took this opportunity to pay me back for all of the hugs, and wrap his arms around me. It was so strange, but at the same time comforting.

"Alright Akamaru stop flirting with Akari, you ready guys?" We nodded and got in position.
This was a simple technique that we had been working on, and would never be as effective as their fang over fang move, but it was still pretty cool to see.

"Ready Akamaru?" I smiled and he nodded. I ran at him and crouched down so I could use his back as a jumping off point. I grabbed the three shuriken out of my holster, throwing them all at a tree while still in the air, Kiba was waiting in the spot that I would estimated to land in getting ready to grab me. We didn't over estimate this time and got it perfectly, he held his cupped hands out and once my feet touched it he launched me back up into the air and I threw a kunai knife in the same spot in the in between space where the shuriken has all marked the tree. It was then that Kiba and Akamaru began fang over fang, but didn't actually use it this time so we didn't destroy another tree. Tsume got really mad the first time we did it.

"You know, the three of us make a pretty good team." Kiba smiled, as Akamaru, back in his puppy form, tiredly made his way over to the two of us sitting in the grass.

"Yeah, we really do." I replied, stroking Akamaru's back as he slowly closed his eyes.

"See, being as flat as a board has come in handy, you're easy to toss around." Kiba said sarcastically and I jokingly punched his arm.

We were both interrupted by an unwanted guess though. Kiba smelled it first, and it was as if I sensed it. Someone was trying to put us under genjutsu. It was slowly working too. That's when I did the first crazy thing I could think of, I grabbed Kiba's kunai and sliced his leg, and then sliced my own. The small effects wore off before they could take full effect.

We both went on the defense knowing that we were no longer alone out here. Back to back we circled around until finally I saw a large ninja standing in the tree line.

"Kiba!" I yelled, we took off after the ninja, "Kiba throw me now!"

Kiba gave me a weird look, but nodded I jumped up so he could grab my ankles. Kiba spun around before throwing me towards the strange ninja. When I got up to him I wrapped my legs around his neck and used all of strength to flip us over. Kiba and Akamaru got there and were both ready to attack the ninja.

"Who are you?" Kiba snarled, but the ninja didn't answer. Instead it turned back into a wooden log.

What the hell was that?