Cursed: Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I remember how it all started. All the sights, smells, and sounds are still fresh in my mind. Almost as if it was yesterday...

I remember I had just gotten the results for my Physics test, and despite working hard to understand what had been taught that year, I still found myself struggling to grasp the latest formulas and concepts. I kept mixing them up, frustrating myself, and overworking my brain to understand everything before it hurt my perfect straight A grades. Nothing clicked though, and when my wonderful teacher Ms. Thorn noticed how much I was struggling and offered to help, it seemed like a gift from the universe to me.

After just a few days, I began to grasp the concepts so I could plug in the numbers where I needed to, and be able to understand why I needed to do just that. It was...amazing. The results from my Physics test just proved how well it all worked out. Ms. Thorn was a wonderful teacher, and someone I thought I could trust completely. I wanted to say 'thank you' in private, completely from the bottom of my heart, because without her I would've failed my test. Without her, my grade would've dropped to a B. Without her, my life would've been different just because I feared not being perfect. I know now that she helped me a great deal more than I could've known back then. She helped me move forward in my life...

I remember walking towards the doors to her classroom right after the bell rang, laughing with my friends on the way there. I was so full of joy because I was able to conquer this obstacle, even if it was just a test. Everything felt like it was falling into place, and nothing could stand in my way.

I can remember it all as if I'm living it right now...

“I'll meet you all later,” I say while juggling my books into my backpack and pulling out my test. “I just need to talk to Ms. Thorn for a little bit.”

“Have fun!” Sammy says with a quick wave. “Oh wait! Are you and Carter comin' out with us all tonight? It sooooo won't be a party without you two!”

I grin, winking at her playfully, “Of COURSE we'll be there! I just have to find him and like let him know. I'll text ya later, though!”

“Sounds grrrreeeeaaaaat!” Sammy chirps out with her high pitched voice, raising it just a bit higher just as her latest crush walks by.

Sammy is fun, and interesting. She isn't really...deep though, and when I would talk on the phone to her or Steph, I'd realize that we aren't really talking to each other at all. It can be like talking to a brick wall when I talk to them. A brick wall that makes us only concerned about ourselves. It can be strangely nice though, because it takes away the meaning of words. It never stops, nor has stopped me, from continuing our friendships though, because it was nice...and it was what I knew.

I remember distinctly the smallest things from that day, such as turning the doorknob to Ms. Thorn's classroom and hearing some faint giggling coming from her office. I remember smiling and thinking about all the times I walked in on Ms. Thorn reading some lame teenage novel full of all those dumb jokes. I remember that when I felt my brain getting so heavy she'd send me home with one of her books, claiming that it soothed the mind. They were always easy to read too so I could always finish them basically in one night, and then bring them back to her the next morning. The funny thing is that it ALWAYS worked too.

I still think of her when I find those books in book stores. I also still read them when I feel stressed or overwhelmed.

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that no matter what Ms. Thorn did to me, I was going to remember her for all the good, helpful advice she gave me. She gave me a lot of advice too. It was like having an older sister...but an older sister who could destroy your self confidence with a failing grade. Perhaps I'm the only one who feels like they've hit bottom when I get a C on something... I know many people who are stoked to get those grades. I know plenty who work hard for them. Yet, I work for the best, and it's something that's always been a blessing and a curse to me.