Cursed: Chapter 16

Chapter 16

My feet stumble through the hallways while Nene watches me suspiciously, knowing very well that the look of exhaustion on my face isn't just on my face, but is in fact in every inch of my body. Despite sleeping last night as much as I can, I'm still incredibly tired when I wake up in the morning, because all last night it felt like something was clawing at me through the back of my skull, and nothing could make it go away. So, every inch of my body has been screaming at me to close my eyes since the second I wake up, and when the school day starts to finally come to a close, I still feel the same exact way, except I'm so tired now that I think my eyes are going to roll into the back of my skull.

“Ummm, Carwen?” Nene asks awkwardly, making me stop dead in my tracks.

“Yes?” I mumble under my breath without turning around. It probably comes out incoherent though, because she says nothing after I say that. I sigh, thinking to myself that I probably should've stayed home because no test is worth this agony, and then slowly turn around to face her. I draw up every ounce of strength left in my face to raise my eyebrows pathetically, making her just jab her finger towards a door.

“This...is our class,” she states blatantly, watching me carefully as if I'm going to fall down any second. “Are you okay?” she whispers in my ear after we walk into the classroom and I manage to trip over an entire desk.

“I've had...better mornings,” I admit while trying to stifle a yawn. “It just feels like I'm forgetting something important. That there's this...THING is in the back of my mind and it's trying to claw its way forward,” I explain under my breath. “It's drrrraaaaiiiiinnnnning, honestly.”

Nene pats me on the back and shoves away a chair that's in my path that got left by some careless student near our seats. The chair smacks the person in the thigh and makes them fall over a bit, but unfortunately they catch themselves on the desk next to them. I start to giggle, making the person glare at us both, but Nene just ignores them as if nothing happened at all.

Our teacher, after fuming at a few students who are late, and always are late because they make out in the hallway before this class, she passes out our tests. I sigh, and rub my temples, feeling a headache begin to break out that feels like it's going to push my eyeballs out of my skull. Everything in the school seems incredibly meaningless except sleep suddenly, and it's all I can focus on as I mark away the answers until something strange starts to happen. Gradually, all the words on the paper begin to jumble together, despite my efforts to try to blink it away. Slowly I take a deep breath, hold it in, and exhale, a bit loudly too because the teacher just clears her throat after I do it.

“Screw this,” I mumble, glaring at the paper as if it condemned me to death or something. I then reach for my scratch paper, and begin to write 'Answers I seek, answers I know, come forth into being, from the internal throes.'

Quickly answers begin to appear on my paper, and I move my pencil across the page to make it appear as if I'm actually writing it all down. The truth is that I TECHNICALLY am, because these are all from my brain... I'm just TECHNICALLY speeding up the process of them coming out. So TECHNICALLY...it isn't cheating.

I hear a gasp from Nene, who is looking at me with wide eyes, and I mouth to her silently that I'm not cheating. She shakes her her head as indiscreetly as possible and tries to glare at me without being caught by the teacher. I sigh and write on the same paper 'to the spell just cast, spread to thee of my choosing, a friend in need, a friend indeed,' and I quickly touch her while the teacher goes into a sneezing fit, spreading the spell to Nene. Nene panics and writes on her paper quickly to appear like she's writing, gasping a little when she proof reads her work afterward.