Cursed: Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Nene stays at my house for support, which is something I don't think I need up until my mother and father walk through the front door. That's when it hits me like a tidal-wave. That's also when it hits them like a tidal-wave that something must be wrong due to the scene in front of them. It's a scene consisting of me looking up at both of them from the couch like a deer caught in headlights, while my brother paces, as Nene holds my hand with one of her hand's and hugs me with her other arm, ALL clearly conveying that something is wrong, making them both sit down instantly. Worry springs up into their faces, but my father's hand on my mother's shoulder calms the questions that almost spill out from her lips in that instant. Finally, my brother joins us and sits down next to me, lightly pushing me on the back to encourage me to get up and talk to them.

But...everything in my mouth decides to stop working in that instant though, and even breathing becomes one of the most difficult things I could ever do. I find I can't stand up, I can't talk, and I can barely breathe, all quickly pushing a thought to the front of my mind like a big, shining light.

How am I supposed to do this?! How am I going to do this?! Is there any other option out there?!

My father notices that the tension isn't dissipating, so he clears his throat and smiles kindly at me, “Carwen...what's wrong?”

I take in a deep breath that betrays me, making me burst into tears, “I'm so s-sorry!” I sob out, quickly turning to frustration, “I a-apparently can't do like...ANYTHING right!”

Nene shakes her head quickly, “You know that's not true so stop saying that!”

I look at her as best as I can with my eyes full of tears, “I'm a freak, and you know that! I'm not supposed to even be able to get this...this CURSE in the first place!”

My mother and father both stand up in fright, “Curse?!” they cry out in unison.

Caleb gestures with his hands as calmly as he can, but even I can see that he's shaking, “Please sit down and just let her explain. Come on...just please.”

They both sit down on the edge of their chairs, looking directly at me and making my whole breathing process fly out the window completely this time. The world practically begins to swirl and bend before my eyes, and for once, I can feel the entirety of the curse. Such as how much its taken root within my body. I can feel the curse not just on my skin right there, but on my heart, weighing it down and spreading through every vein in my body. It begins to hit me how much this curse is becoming a part of me. It's now part of my heart and body, giving me strength when I need it to, even if it knows that it'll be detrimental to me in the end...and explaining this to my family not only gives me a death sentence, but a death sentence for a reason I know...

I can't be separated from it anymore, can I? It really is...me.

For some strange reason this gives me strength to calm the world down around me and take in a deep breath. I can feel right my heart pounding along with my curse in unison like a song, as if for the first time they both realize that they need each other. I...need it right now, and maybe in the future I will need it too, but I also need to know what to do, which is where my family comes in.

“I'm cursed,” I state plainly, feeling my spine straighten, and my body calm down despite the rhythm of my heart. “That night I got bit by that wolf I got this...c-curse.”

My father crumbles in his chair, looking at me destroyed at the same time as my mother bounces up and rushes towards me, smoothing down my hair while she touches my forehead tenderly, “What kind of curse is this? And are you sure it's a curse?!”