Cursed: Chapter 11

Chapter 11

“Carwen! It's ME!” Carter exclaims, placing his hand over my mouth instantly with an almost annoyed look on his face.

My eyes widen even wider and freeze, focusing on the feeling of Carter's hand on my face. His hand is like ice, tingling, and is almost pulsing to my heartbeat...right before it phases through my head completely. I panic and twist away from his hands just as Asher throws open my bedroom door and growls at Carter.

“Who's he?!” Carter exclaims just as Asher lunges at Carter, but passes right through him.

Asher lands on my bed and stares at his hands, bewildered, before looking up at Carter curiously. “Y-you're that boy...”

My family and Nene then pile into my room, freezing upon the sight of Carter. Instantly, the air in the room drops below freezing, not from Carter though, but from everyone stopping all functions in disbelief. Everyone's minds jump on the same exact thought...

Carter's alive? But...how?

“M-mom, what's going on?” I ask, shaking and not taking my eyes off of him, but just gesturing blindly with my hands towards my family.

Carter looks at me as if I'm crazy, “WHAT do you mean?”

Caleb cautiously walks forward and makes complete eye contact with Carter, “There's no way you're here...j-just an...illusion...because you...you're dead, Carter.”

Carter waves his hands around, “Obviously I'm not!”

Asher gets up and walks through him nonchalantly, and sighs while everyone gasps, “He's a ghost.”

Carter backs up, “A ghost? What?” He then flings around to face me with desperation in his face, “WHAT HAPPENED, CARWEN!?”

Tears begin to form in my eyes as I relive the moment, “Y-you don't remember? You died by Dominic because you were trying to...p-protect me.” Within a second my temper kicks in though, making tears form faster in my eyes, “How could you be soooooo STUPID!?”

Carter backs away from me cautiously and slowly says, “I don't know what you're talking about...”

Fuming, I glare at him and practically scream, “YOU GOT YOURSELF KILLED BECAUSE YOU JUST HAAAAAAD TO BE THE HERO!”

“I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, CARWEN!” Carter hollers back at me, shutting my anger down and making me gasp as if a bullet sank into my gut.

“You...died,” I whisper. “I saw the body...”

Carter blinks repeatedly and rubs his face, shaking and almost flickering, “I can't seem to remember it...”

I choke on the air, “It was h-hor-horrible.”

Caleb walks over to me quickly and hugs me, “It's probably best that you don't remember all the details.”

Nene clears her throat awkwardly making us all face her, “He's a ghost, though...right?” She pauses, and then bites her lip as she says with a high pitched tone, “Hooooow is that possible?”

My mother shrugs, breaking the tension of the situation, “It's actually not uncommon. He died by supernatural causes, so...” and she walks towards Carter slowly, staring at him intently, “It's practically expected he would become a ghost.”

I gasp and rip out of my brother's hug, “B-but he touched me!”

Carter smiles widely and points at me happily, “Yeah, yeah! I touched her! So I can't-can't be a ghost, right?”