24.

"So, I just walk through this bit here and I'm through the barrier?" I said nervously standing with Carter and Leon.

"That's it," Carter said taking my hand in his as we all stared forward.

"I can't even see anything." I squinted looking forward. "How do you even know it is there?"

"Well, we kind of noticed when three vampires from the king's army suddenly burst into flames and disintegrated right in front of our eyes. Carter was two steps behind and luckily his quick reflexes saved him or you would be a widow right now." Leon said calmly as he looked over at Carter. "That was awesome by the way." He smiled.

"Yes, it was," Carter said trying to be humble.

"You didn't tell me that part." I scowled at him.

"Because I'm fine." He said kissing my hand. "If I honestly told you about every time I narrowly missed death then you would leave me." Carter shrugged innocently.

"When this is over we are talking about this." I glared at him.

Leon laughed next to me. "You are absolutely screwed Brother, and not in a good way."

"At least I'm getting screwed." Carter shot back. I hit him in the chest.

"Why you got to be like that asshole? And it's not that I can't get laid it's that I choose to not too." Leon said under his breath.

"Yeah, Okay." Carter rolled his eyes. "You choose it."

"Can we please discuss this at another time?" I said looking at them both.

"Yes, you're right baby. This is not the time to discuss how pathetic my brother is." Carter said looking forward again. "Sorry, how he chooses to be pathetic."

"Thank you," Leon said crossing his arms.

"Don't worry big man, I get it," Jake said putting a hand on Leon's shoulder. Carter turned his head slowly and glared at Jake. "We will talk about it later." Jake smiled as he walked away.

"I've double-checked everything and my witch advisor says it's not harmful to humans, just creatures," Tony said walking towards us. "Hello, again Miss Ebony. You are very brave for doing this. Thank you."

"All good," I said shrugging. "I hear I've been through worse."

Leon cleared his throat next to me.

"I have some string to tie to your wrist and if you get stuck or lost just pull three times and we will pull you out," Tony said trying the red string around my wrist.

I looked up at Carter and saw the fear in his aqua eyes. I reached up and cupped his face with my hand. "Everything will be okay." I smiled at him.

He nodded softly. "I know." He almost whispered to me. He rested his head on mine a sighed. "I know."

I kissed him softly and turned towards the protective barrier. "Okay, So I just walk through these two trees here and I'm through?" My heart started to pound in my chest as I took deep breaths and stared straight ahead my stomach in my throat.

"Yes, and remember to ask permission for all of us to enter the dark forest," Tony said. "And if you run into trouble pull three times on the string."

"Three times...Okay, I can do this." I said taking a single step forward towards the trees. "You can do this," I whispered to myself taking a big breath of air. "A few more steps and..." I was pulled back by someone grabbing my hand.

"You know I'm so proud of you right?" Carter said in my ear. "I'll be right here waiting for you even if you take an eternity. I'll be waiting right here." He kissed my cheek.