𝖤𝗇𝗍𝗋𝗒 #𝟣: 𝖲𝖺𝗅𝗎𝗍𝖺𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇𝗌

Devin, a classmate-turned-best-friend, introduced me to Quotev in early Fall of 2013

Devin, a classmate-turned-best-friend, introduced me to Quotev in early Fall of 2013. She told me it was her primary source of publishing fan fiction online, and suggested I do the same for my own.

My first published work on the site was the prologue to a canon-compliant "Riku (Kingdom Hearts)/OC" pairing fic. It was complete with basic, amateurish tropes, stiff dialogue, and convoluted imagery—a standard formula for prose written by a 13-year-old.

I had minimal deliberation on the future of the plot. Only an outline for the first chapter was established, as it'd navigate crucial elements present in the source material:

The protagonist and her sister (Kairi) left their home to secure their raft. Upon noticing Riku's rowboat docked at the pier, the two decided to cover more ground by splitting up. Crossing the bridge to their usual spot at the bent palm tree, the protagonist sought out Riku in the distance.

He comforted her with ramblings of new worlds opening to them among the chaos. That they would finally sense freedom if they embraced the darkness as guidance. Trusting the resolve of her childhood friend, she accepted his offer. Together, the darkness cloaked them as Destiny Islands fell to decay.

A befitting concept I didn't realize to be relevant to my own journey until months later.

As the seasons transitioned to winter, my interests fell in tandem. When another evening of web browsing drew into the early hours of the next day, I fell deeper in consuming a new plot.

Several entries of a digital journal detailed experiences with the supernatural—mostly central to a slender, blank-faced man stalking the author (who for all intents and purposes was an average teenager). Other apparitions would intervene in later installments, including a raven-haired man in a bloodstained white hoodie, and a spirit who previously haunted an elegy statue in a Nintendo 64 game.

I'd experienced paranormal phenomenon ever since I was a child. It was strange yet commonplace for me to hear chairs scuffing the kitchen tiles at impossible hours of the night or to notice computer mouse cursors moving without input.

Rationalizing the story in front of me with logic would be to deny a previous thread of events true to my personal life. There was no sense in debunking it when I'd experienced equally unexplainable affairs too. Instead, I averted my energy to ask: why this person? And what did these entities want from them?