𝖤𝗇𝗍𝗋𝗒 #𝟣𝟣: 𝖲𝗄𝗂𝗇-𝖶𝖺𝗅𝗄𝖾𝗋

{ definition

{ definition. }

Skin-walker: "a type of harmful witch who has the ability to turn into, possess, or disguise themselves as an animal."

| origin |

| origin |

• Navajo/Diné ; native name being "Yeahnáglóshii"

| traditional appearances |

• Typically took the form of animals connected to death and bad omens. This includes but is not limited to coyotes, owls, foxes, and crows.

• Also once believed to simply take the pelt/skin of an animal and dress themselves in said skin.

| modern-day appearances |

• Described as appearing like a "hollowed-out dog." In some photographs, however, they may appear rather skeletal, sometimes completely bald with a humanoid figure.

{ other information }

• Skin-walkers may also take the form of people, whether through disguise or through possession of the body. Possession via skin-walker occurs as simply as them peering into the eyes of a living animal or human.

• Superstition says one should never speak of skin-walkers, as the skin-walkers' versatility can allow them to listen to you without your knowledge.

• Depending on the form in which they take, their attack methods vary. But as an animal, they may resort to their animal form's method and viciously bite and/or claw.

• Skin-walkers may assume the formation of a loved one to appear comforting to their victim in order to lure them before bringing about harm.

• There's various patterns throughout history known to determine whether a skin-walker is stalking you. The most prominent trait is to dream of one particular animal or being on a consistent basis, typically one of a predatory nature.

• The only known way to defeat a skin-walker is to state the witch's name. Similar to exorcising demons, possessing knowledge of a skin-walker's name grants a person immediate power over them.

 Similar to exorcising demons, possessing knowledge of a skin-walker's name grants a person immediate power over them

{ fact or fiction? }

It's unknown whether skin-walkers truly exist. However, most of the disbelief in such a creature is from those who don't have a grasp on the existence of everyday witchcraft or the textbook definition of a skin walker. Instead, skin-walkers are often mistaken as disease-ridden, malnourished, or otherwise gaunt creatures with an inherent, animalistic desire to harm or spread contagion.

Real-life witches have existed for multiple generations and several centuries. They appear as any other human, but in terms of their spiritual practices, they often follow witchcraft of tribal or generally Pagan origins.

One witch may use magick to take on the appearance of—or summon—a deer to provide comfort or guidance, while another witch may allow it to take form of a wolf to harm someone instead. The witch using magick with negative intention is what defines a skin-walker.

{ correlation. }

While skin-walkers may not traditionally appear in the image of Creepypasta killers such as Jeff the Killer, Ben Drowned, Eyeless Jack, etc. some depictions of skin-walkers appear similar to characters with traits like that of the Rake. If the Rake has ever been allegedly spotted somewhere, perhaps a skin-walker is behind the scenes creating the illusion.