Chapter 13 | unity

Sometimes A King Has To Remind Fools Why He's King.

| - |

No one has choices.

I mean, people want us to think we do. Things like democracy and religion and education makes the general population think they have control over their lives and their choices.

Truth is, you don't.

No one has any choice over anything, they just have an illusion that they do. It's simple. If you do something, you've got this status that follows you forever.

If you're gay, it's a sin. If you're skinny, you're anorexic. If you're fat, you're unattractive. If you speak your mind, you're a rebel. If you stay quiet, you're a weirdo. If you're kind to others, you're fake. If you cry, you're dramatic. If you have friends of the opposite gender, you're either a whore or a player. You can't do anything at all without being criticized and brought down. Everyone has a label and that comes with the consequences. You don't choose what they are because, chance is, the population doesn't even know what that is.

If you're a foster kid, your entire life will be fucked up.

If you're a King, you're a criminal.

It's just how things work, right?

Royal taught me that. Taught me that you can't escape these labels, but I disagree.

We are only what we choose to be

We might not have a choice regarding the consequence but we have a choice regarding the label and how it's interpreted. You can be a foster kid and have a successful life, you can be a foster kid and still have a family.

You can be a King and still be good.

I can be good.

"What did I say about trusting people, Princess?" I sign, holding the phone to my ear as I sign the waiver.

"She's on your side." She huffs.

"She's got nothing to lose." I explain simply.

"Her boyfriend, her brothers. Her gan-"

"No." I cut her off, stepping outside the office for a moment. "Rochelle has nothing to lose because she goes into that fight with nothing on her mind, and she comes out with nothing as well. That's how we survive, Princess. We're only dangerous when nothing matters."

"But it does matter." I can imagine her eyebrows furrowing, the warm brown glittering with sadness. "You've got me."

"When I'm out there, I've got nothing. No girlfriend, no brothers, no family." I swallow, "I shut it out. Rochelle shuts it out. Because if we don't, our decisions and our actions will be selfish and someone could die. If I'm not willing to risk my life, because I'm tied down to someone, Brett could die. Rochelle is dangerous because she has nothing to lose when she's out there. None of us do." I take a deep breath, catching the Prison Officers stare. "I've got to go, Princess. I'll speak to you later."

"King, right?" She grunts, shoving my phone into a box.

"Yep." She leads me to the visiting room, to which I walk until I find my brothers box. I grab the phone.

"Irmão, you good?" He starts by saying, to which I ignore.

"Do you think they'd let us share a call if I got locked up?" I ask spontaneously, studying his bruised face.

"You wouldn't get arrested so there's no point even considering it."

"You don't know that though, do you?" I hum, "I'm a King, aren't I? I thought we were all destined to be criminals, or at least that's what you said."