Chapter 25 | diamonds

A Wise Man Once Told Me: Family Don't End In Blood.

| - |

Everyone hides behind a mask.

A mask that protects our sadness, or pain, and the rage that our hearts feel.

Everyone experiences feelings that they don't want to face, so we pull down a mask and refuse to face ourselves.

That, and we don't want anyone else to feel our pain.

It was an art that both myself and Rochelle Quinn were mastered in.

"I guess I finally succeeded in taking down the Kings." She hums, staring at each of my siblings with an unidentifiable emotion in her eyes.

"It wasn't your fault. You know that." Cole replies without hesitating, but the break in his voice almost ruins Rochelle entirely.

"You don't understand. This anger... it's consuming me, I need to hurt Brandon for all he's done, but I can't hurt someone who's already dead."

Charlotte sends me a knowing look from across the room, and I direct my gaze away.

"Look, I ge-"

"What do you think he did?" She silences Liam's generic reply, staring him dead in the eyes.

"I..I don't know."

"What do you think he did to me?" Seemingly endless tears stroll down her tanned cheeks, her body begins to shake.

"I'm sorry for what he did to you, Rock, but honestly we need to focus on everything that happens next."

"He ruined my life. He destroyed yours. He took what was left of my brother." She rambles quietly, paying no one else any attention. "It was supposed to be easier now, now that he's gone. But it isn't. I don't get it- why does it still hurt?"

"Kill him." Jayden speaks up suddenly, causing everyone's eyes to shoot to him. He continues before Rochelle has the chance to speak, "He's not dead. None of them are. So you get what revenge you need to, and then you bring Rocky back and you keep fucking fighting. This isn't you. I know you're having it tough right now but you've got so much going for you, it'll be a shame for you to give it all up for some pathetic piece of merda."

"What do you mean he's not dead?" Bodhi speaks before me for the first time since his return. His voice is hoarse, and tougher than I remember.

"They're not dead. Killian kept them in the cellar, and intended for us all to get a turn before killing him." Jayden informs them with a locked jaw, before turning to look at me. "I know you wanted to wait until Royal came home but we all need this."

— —

When Rochelle entered the cellar, I suddenly recalled just how imminent and unpredictable her anger was.

She looks empowered in her outfit, the blackness of her clothes no doubt mirroring the darkness in her soul. But unlike the rest of her makeup, her lips were painted elegantly with the brightest red lipstick I had ever seen. A knowing smirk gave away her intentions as she glided towards the cell door where both our gangs were situated, sending a quick glance to me.

Her eyes locked with Bodhi's, her stance softening. "You told me once that those who harmed me would die screaming, I swear to you that those who harmed you will die the same fate."

She didn't flinch as she entered the room, not like the rest of our allies did.

We've all got devils inside of us. This is just the time where we have to let them win.