Chapter 18 | escape

Surround Yourself With People Who Get It.

| - |   

My own screams wake me up.

The nightmare still lingered in the depths of my mind, it never left. Always the same thing...again and again. I take a deep, shaky breath, attempting to steady my heartbeat.

I'm safe. I'm okay.

In and out. In and out.

He can't hurt us anymore. He's dead.

In and out .

I flinch once I hear my front door slam shut, my brows furrowing on instinct. My hand closes around the blade handle next to my bed, holding it close to my torso as I stand up and attempt to sneak downstairs without making a sound.

In and out. In and out.

"Li?" The shock in my voice echoes throughout the entire room. His wide eyes move from the blade to my face before he turned his head around so I couldn't see him. "Irmão?"

"Vai-te lixar, Killian." He mutters, curling in on himself as I take a step forward.

"Where've you been?" I ask, knowing that he left straight after our conversation the other night. He texted Jayden saying he was alright but other than that we hadn't heard from him.

"Out."

"Where?" I push, placing the knife on the coffee table.

"Finn." Is all he says, but the pain in his voice is unmistakable.

"Did something happen with you two?"

He doesn't reply, instead turning around so I could see his face.

Litters of purple and blue are made obvious by the moonlight. They spread across his face in random places, as though he'd been hit by more than one person.

"Name."

"Kill-"

"Give me their fucking names." I snap, "Was is Reggie and Brandon, 'cause I swear to fucking -"

"Killian!" He shouts, cutting me off. "I don't know who it was."

"What happened? Where have you been?"

"I went out with Finn." He bites his lip, "We...We kissed and some boys saw, we didn't see them coming."

"Where was it?"

"Near the ring, they didn't look familiar." His eyes begin to water but he blinks them away without even thinking. "It just happens when you're like me. I should know, I'm normally the one helping them."

I don't register his bitter tone, "You won't be helping in future. This shit isn't right." I sign, "And for the record, it doesn't just happen. That's like saying oh yeah I shouldn't leave the house just because some people have an issue with me living in this country. People have issues with everything so you might as well just do what you wanna do."

"It's not the same thing."

"It's the same concept." I emphasise, "You can't pretend to be someone you're not just because someone else might have an issue with it."

"They hurt Finn." I don't expect his voice to break, "They wouldn't have hurt him if I didn't exist."

I slap his ear, ignoring his cry. "Don't you ever fucking say that again."