Chapter Four: To Takeover Emrys

Merlyn crashed into the dragon's cavern, a torch burning in her hand, panting from her run down to him. Merlyn was well aware of the fact that without the dragon she would have died or Arthur would have died a long time ago.

"Hello?! Kilgharrah?!" she called out into the empty cavern. She really didn't need him to be hiding in that moment. "Look I don't have a lot of time and I need your help!" As those words echoed through the cavern the familiar sound of great wings flapping could be heard. Soon enough Kilgharrah was landing on his rock before Merlyn.

"Merlyn" Kilgharrah greeted as he looked at her with a knowing glint in his eye. Merlyn rolled her eyes, typical that Kilgharrah already knew. Proving her point, the Great Dragon continued. "So Cornelius Sigan has returned."

"Yes, how do I defeat him?" Merlyn asked knowing she had very limited time.

"To defeat Sigan, you will need a spell more powerful than anything you know" Kilgharrah confirmed Gaius' words. Merlyn was starting to think she was not going to be able to beat the man - but she had to win otherwise Camelot would fall.

"And you have one?" Merlyn asked with hope in her voice. The young witch knew she didn't have a spell but Kilgharrah had to have one, he was her last hope.

"I do" Kilgharrah stated before a thoughtful gaze ran across his eyes. "But you must give me something in return." This was a first. Kilgharrah had mentioned before that his advice did not come free but he had never brought up the price before and frankly Merlyn had been too scared to.

"What would you like?" she asked, her hand turning the torch in her hand around anxiously.

"A promise."

"A promise?" Merlyn questioned. It couldn't be something so simple ... could it?

"That one day you will free me" Kilgharrah said. That was not simple. But the price was one Merlyn was willing to pay, truth was she had always planned on freeing Kilgharrah, he did not deserve to be locked up for his entire life. Dragons were born to be free.

"I already planned on freeing you Kilgharrah" Merlyn admitted with a smile. The Great dragon looked taken aback. He had not expected that.

"You did?" he asked. Merlyn couldn't help but chuckle, it was very rare that she could answer a question for Kilgharrah. It was very rare she could surprise the dragon but it seemed she had managed it.

"Yes but if it makes you feel better" Merlyn started, indulging in Kilgharrah's needs. "I promise you I will one day free you." The moment meant so much. The Great Dragon peered into Merlyn's eyes and could see the truth there. She really did mean it; she really was going to free him. He would one day feel the wind against his wings again he would no longer feel the cold, tight metal that clung to his leg keeping him trapped ... he would be free.

"Close your eyes and open your mind" Kilgharrah ordered believing Merlyn's words. Merlyn did as she was told as well as she could. Suddenly the young witch felt the cold breath of the dragon blowing over her for a moment before her mind was filled with ancient words of strength and power she had never known before. With her mind opened to new magic, Merlyn gasped before she slowly opened her eyes to see the Great Dragon watching her reaction. "Few men have ever been gifted such knowledge. Use it wisely."

"Of course" Merlyn replied, the truth of what had just transpired was not lost on the young witch.

~8~

Arthur and a collection of knights had run back out to the drawbridge in order to help the civilians only to find bodies upon bodies. They were too late. Arthur and the knights all came to a halt and surveyed the drawbridge, each and every body engraved in their minds.