Chapter Fifty-Nine: The Crystal of Neahtid

Merlyn had kept her mouth shut believing Morgana's words. And she had waited all day for the sounds of Morgana's treachery but nothing had happened, the bells hadn't rang, no rumours had surfaced. Merlyn was just left on the edge of a knife waiting for Morgana's move. Night had rolled in and Merlyn was making Arthur's dinner, the kitchen's had thankfully made something simple for him. It was a simple stew that Merlyn merely had to spoon into a bowl for him. Though the process was taking longer than normal due to Merlyn's concerned mind.

"Come on Merlyn I'm starving" Arthur called from his place at the head of the table. He had a hard day and was eager for some food unaware of the danger that Morgana posed.

"Well, you know what they say, good food takes time to prepare" Merlyn absentmindedly replied as she ladled out the food and turned to face Arthur. She placed the food in front of the prince who stared at the food unimpressed.

"And this taste sensation took exactly how long?" Arthur asked as he picked up his cutlery giving Merlyn a side glance. However, just before he put his spoon into the food, he noticed Merlyn's distracted gaze. Her subsequent silence despite his words also informed Arthur of Merlyn's distracted nature.

"Merlyn, what's wrong?" Arthur asked as he lowered his spoon and gave Merlyn his full attention. Merlyn inhaled deeply as she turned to the prince suddenly realising that he was speaking to her. As she locked eyes with Arthur, Merlyn knew she had to tell him. she had to voice her concern and warn the prince of what could happen. With Morgana in possession of the keys to many restricted areas, Merlyn was unsure of what would be hit. Sighing, Merlyn pulled out the chair that sat next to Arthur's. She lowered herself into it and looked towards the prince. Was this really a smart idea? Was accusing Morgana of treason going to end well for her?

Sighing, Merlyn went to speak, only for the moment her mouth opened the bells began tolling through the castle. Those bells only rang when something was afoot. With a shared wide-eyed glance, Merlyn and Arthur darted to their feet and began to race out of the chambers.

It didn't take long for them to find a guard who had been sent to find them. He had some dastardly news. Someone had broken into the Vaults!

~8~

The Vaults were a heavily guarded and hidden room, deep within the castle where the most treasured and dangerous items Camelot owed lived locked up behind several barred doors and numerous guards. It was virtually impregnable.

When the guards had come to change over, they had found the guards unconscious and the Vaults' doors each open. There wasn't a sign of forced entry it was like someone had used a key. Upon hearing the account from the guards Merlyn knew immediately that this was Morgana's doing.

Merlyn followed Arthur through the maze and into the Vaults where the doors were indeed wide open. The prince sighed as he held a torch and lit it using the flames of the halls' hanging lights. With the warm flames flickering, Arthur guided Merlyn into the Vaults that were lined with shelves. Each shelf held important goods that were not for anyone else to see, valuable items that were also dangerous. It was a thief's heaven.

Beyond the first corridor's goods lay one more door. A web-covered barred door that was thick and strong lay before intruders and the most precious items. Arthur walked straight through the open door and sighed as his eyes locked onto one of the only items in this room section.

Before both Merlyn and Arthur was a pillar with a luscious red crested pillow with a sizable dip in the plush cushion. Clearly, the pillow had had something heavy placed upon it for many years. Though what it was Merlyn did not know, but Arthur did.

"The Crystal of Neahtid." Merlyn frowned at the name, she had never heard of it before and so knew nothing about the Crystal or why Morgana and in turn Mordred and his companion would want it. Merlyn watched as Arthur scanned their surroundings before his eyes settled onto the lock of the door.