Chapter Ten: The Final Joust

Merry Christmas!

This year has been amazing for my writing and each and every one of you, by reading/voting/commenting, have built up my confidence in my writing and story. So here's to Christmas afternoon.

I hope you like the chapter!

*****

It sounded about right: Arthur tells her he loves her, then walks off leaving her stunned and unable to reply to his words, and (since she knew him so well) she knew he would act as if nothing had happened. As if he hadn't just turned her world upside down. Merlyn had loved Arthur for some time, she knew about their legend but she still hadn't believed that he would love her. She had convinced herself that her Arthur would not fall in love with her and that she would be by his side platonically ... but it seemed she was wrong (happily so). Now she just had to figure out how the hell she was going to admit it to him or when - it didn't help that there was an assassin running around wanting Arthur dead.

Merlyn had ran down to the Jousting Arena after Arthur. It was the final day of the jousting; the final between Arthur and Sir Alynor. However, Merlyn was much more concerned with the assassin and Arthur's impromptu revelation. The young witch scanned the surrounding area searching for an unfriendly face but she couldn't find one before she entered Arthur/William's tent.

As Merlyn entered the tent she found Arthur dressed in his armour and Gwen beside him helping him, meaning Merlyn couldn't talk to the man. Seconds later William entered the tent his helmet in his hand. This was the last joust.

"They're ready for you, Sire" William said holding out the helmet to the prince. With a nod to everyone Arthur placed the helmet on his head and made his way out of the tent towards the jousting arena where his horse was waiting. As he left Merlyn had this gut wrenching feeling something was about to go wrong.

For this final bout Merlyn and Gwen decided to watch closer to the arena. They stood just at the side of the sand covered floor and watched as the match began. As usual the two horses began to charge at one another. However as they got closer together Merlyn found herself holding her breath. The men titled and suddenly Merlyn's eyes were locked on Alynor's lance that had a metal fist at the end for a second before a spike shot out at the end. Before Merlyn could do anything the spike was shoved into Arthur.

"Arthur!" Merlyn gasped in horror. Arthur somehow was able to stay on his horse but he dropped his lance and clutched his chest where the spike had inevitably cut through his armour. Quickly Merlyn rushed to Arthur's side and helped the injured prince down.

"Arthur-"

"His lance pierced my armour" Arthur grunted out as he lent on Merlyn's shoulder. Quickly Merlyn was able to get Arthur back to his tent where he pulled his helmet off.

"You're losing too much blood" Merlyn exclaimed as she grabbed a clean cloth and tried to stem the bleeding.

"Do what you can. I have to be back on the course within five minutes or I forfeit the match" Arthur said through gritted teeth. Merlyn was horrified by his words.

"You can't possibly joust, you're too badly injured!" Gwen said from her place beside William. Merlyn couldn't agree more with Gwen's words.

"I have never withdrawn from a match. I do not intend to start now" Arthur states strongly. Merlyn knew Arthur but it still frustrated her that he was going to push himself to do this. She had to at least try to stop him. Reaching over Merlyn cupped Arthur's cheek, grasping his attention.