Chapter Six

"I don't want too." My voice came out far more harsh then intended. Patton whined. I was sitting on a low branch while Patton stood on the ground, looming up.

"Come on Virge~ Please!" Patton whined with a pout. "They want to study the forest. Maybe..maybe they'll protect it with you?"

I sighed and jumped down in front of him. "I'm a protector! What if I mess up and the King and Prince come in here and tear everything down?!" I ask with narrowed dark eyes. I felt my anxiety claw its way up, and looked away. "I don't want to mess up here too..." I whisper.

Patton placed a hand on my shoulder so I would look at him. I glanced and met his blue eyes. "It'll be fine. I'll be beside you Virgil. I promise!" His face was so calm, a comforting smile on his face.

"Fine, I'll meet with the kind. But, I get to leave whenever I want. And, the prince has to scream 'I love Dragon Witches!'" I sighed and crossed my arms under my cloak.

"I don't know about that happening, but I'll tell them." Patton cheered and hugged me. I wasn't a fan of physical contact, but it was Patton so it's not like I had a choice. He pulled away and grinned. "Now! You promised werewolf puppies! Lets go!"

"Yeah yeah. Lets go." A small smirk played on my lips as I lead him to the den.

The Next Morning

"Viiiiirgiiiiillllll~" The loud sing song voice of Patton split through the quiet. The sun wasn't even up yet. Not that I was asleep anyway. "They agreed to your terms."

With a sigh I flew down. I removed the comfortable stick crown, and replaced ot with the dark wired crown that was enforced with amethyst gems. I smoothed out my clothes and took a few minutes to pick sticks and such out of my hair and wings. With Patton's help I looked presentable. "Alright, lets get this over with." I sighed.

"Come on Vee. Smile!" Patton giggled and lead the way out of the forest. "Everything is going to be fine."

"Maybe for you. What if they hate me? What if the guards try and attack me? Or a fire starts in the kitchen? Oh my god this is bad!" I gasped out, trying to gulp in air as panic settled in my chest.

"Hey, no need to ruffle your feathers Virge." Patton put his hands on my shoulders. "Now I don't mean to call foul but everything will work out better if you relax."

I snort at the bird joke. After controlling my breathing we start walking again. Outside the forest, I put up a stronger thorn wall as extra security. I felt nervous outside the forest, but I wanted to at least hear what the King was thinking. Patton was dancing around ahead of me, humming a small tune. I smirked a bit at his antics but didn't say anything.

The walk to town went without a hitch. Walking through the town though? I wanted to fly away. Everyone and their dog were staring at me. All of them held the same look.

'Fear'

'Confusion'

'Hate'

'Anger'

'Curiosity'

Gulping, I focused ahead of me, exercising my breathing so I didn't get too anxious and freak out. The world seemed to still when my cloak was yanked on. With a gulp I turned and was met with a little girl. If I'm right it was the little girl I helped pick flowers.

"Here!" She smiled and held up a bright purple flower.

"Whatever kid." I mutter but accept the flower. She laughed and ran off. "Kids are weird." I say and catch up to Patton.

"You don't have to keep it kiddo." Patton hummed.

"No, its mine. Back off." I glance away and tuck it into my cloak.

"Well, it seems the little girl loosened everyone up." Patton motioned to the towns folk. They did loosen up, they were still unsure don't get me wrong, but they seemed more at ease.

"I guess. Lets just get to the castle." I sighed, feeling exhausted already.

"Okie dokie smokey!" Patton giggled and we picked up pace.

When we finally reached the castle we were met with swords in our faces. 'I should have just stayed in my tree...'