Chapter Twenty-One

Warning: Overwhelming, over-determined, disgusting fluff

When we got to town we stopped at the stables to drop Sterling off. I was surprised when Virgil could talk to him, I just hoped the Sassy Stallion didn't tell him about what I say to him.

Coming to a stop, I jumped out of the saddle, and landed on the floor. "Stable boy, put my horse away please." I asked, helping Virgil down. "I'm hungry, what do you want to eat?"

"Uh..." I watched Virgil look around, biting his and folding his wings under his cloak. "I-I don't know." He swallowed, eyes darting around.

I softened my features and grabbed one of his hands. "How about crepes? They're really good and you can have sweet or savory."

"O-Okay." He stuttered, gripping my hand tightly. "Lets go." He murmured.

I smiled at him and pulled him closer. He stumbled, but caught himself against my shoulder. It was weird seeing so, well anxious, and not snapping at me with salty remarks. I rubbed circles on the back of his hand as we walked, every now and then he shuffle closer.

"What should we do after we eat?" I asked,looking back at him.

"I-uh we can look around I guess." Virgil said, looking at a few shops that we passed.

"As the damsel in this relationship we can do anything your heart desires!" I exclaimed fancifully, making wild hand gestures as I tried for a smile.

"I'm not a damsel!" Virgil glared, a cute pout forming on his pale pink lips.

I smirked slyly. "Well of course you are! You are damsel, trapped in that spooky forest, and I, your noble Knight, has rescued you!" I exclaimed, winking at him. "You may thank me now."

I watched the man try to hold back a smile, and try to keep up his glare, but he slowly faltered and started laughing. His laugh was rough, but it sounded nice, refreshing if I'm honest. "You're so weird."

I made what Val had started calling 'offended Princey noises', and put my free hand over my chest dramatically. "How dare you, I am your noble Prince!"

"More like a noble pain, Sir Sing Along." Virgil smirked, poking my cheek.

"Jokes on you my Fallen Angel, I like that nickname." I scoffed back, relaxing under the casual banter.

"What, noble pain?" Virgil asked with a smirk, a twinkling in his dark eyes.

"No, Sir Sing Along!" I countered, narrowing my eyes playfully at him, and making him chuckle. "Look we're here!" I exclaimed when we reached the vender. "What flavor do you want?" I asked him.

"Black berry and mint?" He murmured, and I saw him gulp.

'So cute!' "One blackberry, and mint crape, and one chocolate and strawberry crape please." I ordered.

The man nodded and started making our food. Virgil watched in awe as he worked. I couldn't blame him, I doubt they had this kind of stuff in the forest. He squeezed my hand again, making me realize we were still linked. My face heated. I twined my fingers with his, looking down at the small, pale hand that was encased in my bigger, slightly tanned own.

"Here you are." I reached up and took Virgil's Crepe, handing it to him before taking my own and paying.

I lead Virgil to a table that sat between shops. When we sat down Virgil took his hand back, making mu hand feel oddly cold. I watched as Virgil stared at his food, debating on where to bit. I chuckled and took a bite from the top, glancing at Virgil ad he watched me. He looked back at his food and took a tentative bite from the top. His face lit up. A smile of pure amazement spread across his before he started eating more. Smiling, I went back to eating, glancing up to watch him every now and then.

After 20 minutes we threw away the trash and headed to some shops. I felt something warm grab my hand and looked down. Virgil's face was so red under all that white paste!

"D-Don't get cocky!" Virgil but out quickly. "I-I just Do-Don't want to get lost!" He glared at me, like he was warning me not to start.

I smiled and nodded. "Alright, lets go." I tightened my grip on his hand and turned my head to hide a blush. 'There should be a law on how cute he can be.'

From there we traveled to different stores. I bought him a hand sown, stuffed black kitten with purple eyes, and Vigil was clinging to it, but my favorite part of the day? Virgil's reaction to Cotton candy.

"Virgil try this." I hummed, handing the darker dressed of us a chunk of spun sugar.

Virgil tilted his head and popped the sugar in his mouth, his eyes went wide with fear. "Roman it vanished?! Wh-What did I do?!" Virgil asked, panic filling his voice.

"Virgil, its supposed to do that, you're okay." I laughed softly, taking another bite of cotton candy. I watched Virgil relax and chuckled again.

We didn't get back to the forest until night. "Thanks for today Roman, it relaxed me a lot." Virgil said into my back, his arms wrapped around my torso.

"Any time Virgil." I said, looking ahead as I rubbed circles on the back of his hand again. 'Anytime.'