Chapter Nineteen

I grinned as I made my way to the forest. Apparently Patton was already there, but everyone else came with me. I felt oddly energetic, and giddy as I walked, or rather skipped if I'm being honest.

"Oh my, someone's excited to see you. know. who~" Valerie snickered, a fox like grin gracing her face.

"OH!" Pranks gasped. "You mean Vol-"

"Don't say it!" Missy hissed to his brother, glaring with a 'shh' motion.

I turned around to watch them. "What were you talking about Valerie?" I asked.

"Nothing really," The knight hummed, ginning at me. "Just that you've been moping when you're in the castle, yet when we come out here to see Lord Anxiety, I can't help but notice you're literally skipping with excitement."

I gulped, feeling heat flush my cheeks. "Pst furk meh ga Wh-What are you implying?!" I stuttered, admittedly ungraceful as it was. 

"I mean: PRINCE ROMAN HAS A CRUSH!" Valerie yelled with Remmy, Missy, Pranks, and Terrance. 

"Huh?!" I squeaked, I mean exclaimed, face burning as I glared at them. "I-I do not!"

The four just started laughing, that is until Logan came to my rescue. "Do matter how much Roman likes Lord Anxiety we're here, leave it for another time." He sighed, pushing his angled glasses up on his nose. 

"But you think he has a crush on Lord Anxiety too?" Remmy asked, sipping his drink that he brought.

"Oh, most defiantly." Logan nodded, walking down the path into the forest.

"Logan~" I groaned, following behind.  "You're all fired when I'm king." I grumbled, looking away from them all as they laughed, and in Logan's case chuckled.

After a short walk we came to the clearing. Fear struck me as we all froze. Virgil was laying in the grass, dark wings spread out underneath. His head was resting in Patton's lap as he ran his hands through his purple locks. Seeing Patton's calm face made he calm down, that meant Virgil wasn't dead at least.

"Patton." Logan spoke first, getting a cold stare and a 'shh' motion. "What has happened?" Logan asked, leading us closer. 

I sat down next to Virgil's, thankfully, sleeping form. I reached out and gently took his hand, running my thumb in circles  on the back of his hand. His skin was so pale, and cold. His sleeping face was lax, the dark powder under his eyes smudged from, what looked like, tear streaks. 

"When I came to visit yesterday he was having a some kind of break down. Luckily he's been sleeping since." Patton said in a hushed voice.

"You have been here since?" Logan asked, I could see the turmoil in his eyes as he spoke.

"Of course." Patton smiled at the sleeping man. "I love Virgil, he's a mix of my brother, son, and best friend. And when I find out who has hurt him, I'm going to rip out their spine." The calm tone of Patton's voice sent a chill down my spine. It seems I wasn't the only one, as I heard audible gulps behind me. "I don't want to wake him up, maybe you guys can study the soil or something. If Virgil wakes up and sees us going through the forest without him, he won't be happy."

"Understood. We can do that." Joan nodded, motioning the other scientists to get to work.

I sighed and smiled at Patton. "You should get some sleep, I can stay with him." I offered.  Patton looked me over, and honestly it hurt seeing just a flash of distrust. Finally he nodded. I crawled over and moved Virgil's head to my lap as Logan helped Patton up on sleeping legs. I looked down at Virgil's sleeping face and smiled softly. He was oddly beautiful, even if he had puffy red eyes. 'I want to protect the villain now.' I thought with a small smile.