Chapter One: The Ceremony

I skidded to a stop right outside the grassy field and quickly smoothed my messy hair down. Got to look good in front of the tribe leaders. This was the first impression they would have of us, after all.

Adrian waved at me from somewhere in the front and I hurried over.

Seeing my parents glare at me out of the corner of my eye, I purposely slouched, just to annoy them. I could almost hear their scolding voices in my ears. In one hour I wouldn't have to deal with them anymore. Just one hour.

Hang in there, Mel.

"Hey, you there? Hello?" Adrian said, and nudged me, "You have that look on your face again."

I forced my expression into a pleasant smile. "Sorry, just thinking."

"Well pay attention, it's starting."

Leaning forward, I caught a glimpse of the tribes. Leaders from the groups were sitting in human form. Their tribe members sat on the sidelines in their respective clusters; the Lupine, full of howling wolves, coyotes, jackals, and other wild dogs, sat in the direction of the snow mountains. The Avians, all birds of prey and more, screeched from where they gathered, unused to the temperatures cooler than the desert.  The Feline, consisting of big cats like tigers and leopards were my home tribe; we lived on the coast of a vast ocean. The Serpentine, cobras, pythons, and other snakes, had slithered to the Ceremony clearing from the swamps. And the Ursidae, who boasted the largest tribe of every species of bear.

Each tribe had its own specialty based on where they were stationed. Once we joined a tribe we'd be taught a trade to master. I was going to train my hardest no matter what tribe I joined, but I wondered what tribe I'd be accepted into.

If I'd be accepted.

All my life, I had been living with the Felines, and my two brothers were both clouded leopards. I knew my parents would be extremely disappointed in me if I called anything but a big cat. I couldn't wait to join a new tribe, though, if only to get away from them. Them and their scarring words and screeching insults.

I snapped back to the present as they started to explain to us how the Ceremony would proceed.

Not like we heard it every year.

The Feline leader came up and recited the speech she said, word for word, every year on the Ceremony.

"We are blessed with two forms, given by the earth, moon, sun, sky, and stars. Each of you will receive yours today. Take heed, though," she warned, "misuse of this power will not be taken lightly. Your second form will be bound and you'll be exiled to live with the humans forever.

"Moving on to a happier note, you will be summoned up to the stone platform, and when your form is revealed, go take a seat with your new tribe. Now, let us begin."

She retreated back to her place with the other leaders, and they started to chant.

Unbid, a girl from the Serpentine walked up and took her place in the center. The chanting grew louder, and the girl closed her eyes, swaying.

With a streak of lightning, a ghost of her second form stepped up to her, placing a paw on her leg. Instantly, she became the cougar, then, in the blink of an eye, back to human. A grin on her face, she joined the Felines, who purred and cheered.

Glancing around, I realized that there were only about ten or twelve sixteen-year-olds, including me and Adrian. That wasn't a lot, usually, there were at least twenty-five or so every Ceremony.

Hmm, strange.

After a couple more people got their forms, Adrian was called up. Or sort of telepathically beckoned over.

He stood still for a moment, straightened, and the outline of a milk snake slithered forth. Tossing me a smirk, he sauntered towards the Serpentine tribe.

Lucky.

I zoned out a bit, I admit it. I may or may not have fallen asleep for a couple of minutes at a time. May or may not have missed some important things.

Hey, in my defense, I was tired and full of adrenaline. I couldn't wait for my turn to come.

A few more people went, and I became more and more nervous. Why did it seem as if I would be going last? Was it a coincidence? I didn't know, but whatever the case, I did happen to be the last going up. Bad omen or what, am I right?

Melody, a voice murmured in my mind.

Rising to my feet, I tried to walk calmly, but anyone could've seen the skip in my step.

I reached the circle and waited as the sound of hypnotic song rang all around me.

The sky darkened, and thunder rolled overhead. Rain poured out of the clouds and soaked my tunic and shorts. The clouds cleared in a circle above my head, while the rest of the clearing remained dark and ominous. The moon hung full and bright over me, it's image wavering like smoke, then it vanished.

This hadn't happened with anyone else. What was going on?

With a final crack of thunder, my second form came into view, taking my breath away.

A beautiful she-wolf stood before me, her midnight fur speckled with silver flecks, almost like stars. Blue-grey eyes that matched mine stared straight at me, and she cocked her head.

She gracefully padded up to me, raising her paw to merge with me.

I became the wolf, and when I opened my eyes, everything, even the shadows were bright as day.

Shapeshifting back to human, I found the clearing was dead quiet, except for the mutters of the tribe leaders. The anxiety that bristled in the leaders reflected in their tribes, who didn't understand what had happened.

The Lupine leader walked up to me, clasping my shoulder, and broke the uneasy silence.

"I'm sure you'll be a great asset to our pack. To the Lupine!"

Had I been different, I would've welcomed the attention, but I felt like a piece of meat thrown to the dogs. Stares devoured me, taking me in, and I felt uncomfortable.

He steered me over to the Lupine tribe, who broke into howls and barks. The five tribes dispersed, each heading back to their own territory.

One of the foxes who also got her second form trotted up to me.

"We'll be traveling to the mountains, so switch to your other form." She turned, and scampered off, as if scared. But not before glancing behind to look at me again.

Around me, people were turning into different species of wild dog. We all broke into a fast-paced jog, and I had no choice but to shift too.

I didn't like the stares my form drew, it reminded me of how my parents used to look down at me. I wish Adrian was here. I didn't know a single person in the tribe. Hopefully, they would soon ignore me, going on to do whatever they needed to.

We passed a valley, with a waterfall and plenty of deer, but no one stopped. Ran past a sparkling river, and not one paused to drink. The tribe only crossed the bridge, feet thundering on the wooden planks, yet none took in the view.

Finally, the leader, whose name was Alpha Micha, as I had learned on the trip, called a rest for about an hour.

I sat by myself in the shade, trying out the feel of the Lupine clothing. One of the timber wolf mothers had given me a new set. I swapped my plain cotton shirt and trousers for the more advanced Lupine attire. A tougher material made up my pants, long, because it snowed in the mountains. My shirt was light but warm, and the linen jacket was lined with natural down. Not from the Avians, though, from regular, ordinary birds who couldn't shift. A satchel completed the outfit, weapon sheathes across the lower part of the strap and pockets for convenience.

Checking out my new kicks, I found it was much more comfortable than my old tribe's clothing. Huh. I guess with a different tribe comes different perks.

I froze, sensing someone behind me. Someone whispered in my ear, "Now you look like a real Lupine."

(Side Note: Shapeshifting into an animal is referred to as 'shifting' for short. The term is commonly used among the tribes.)