Chapter Sixty Two: Secrets Revealed

We dragged our feet back to the tunnels, weary but exuberant. After a night of dancing, watching the parade, and more dancing, I couldn't feel my feet anymore. I could barely keep my eyes open to see where I was going, listening to Jinx crack an endless line of jokes to keep us occupied.

Definitely worth it.

After a few rounds of dancing with Ash, we sat on the sidelines, whatever tension before momentarily gone. Sora and Jinx kept joining in until even their endless energy was depleted.

Sora was smiling more and more nowadays and I was slightly confused. I wonder what could've brought on this change in her behavior. Maybe someday, when this was all over, I could forgive the past and move on. For now, I'll just keep an eye on her.

We entered the hidden tunnel and traversed down the slippery steps. By now, I was familiar with the maze of caves and easily navigated to our rooms.

Alastar was nowhere to be found, only a note nailed to the table indicated anything. He said he was on a short trip and that the next day here could be taken off.

He also mentioned that if we'd done anything at the festival, even the slightest hint of magic, he would make us stand on logs and send us down the waterfall.

Aww, he cares. More like he cares about his safety if anything.

I yawned and headed off to find my room. We said our good nights and I shut the door, walking to take a bath. I promptly fell into my bed and slept like a rock.

"Hey, Melody, wake up."

Someone was shaking me gently and I jolted awake, fists pulled back to swing if needed. Whoever it was jumped back, lifting their hands in surrender.

"It's me!"

Frowning, I shifted into my semi-form, waiting for m eyes to adjust to the darkness. The person beside the bed was wearing simple clothing with a red scarf draped over her shoulder. She looked nervous and there were bags underneath her eyes.

Sora.

"What is it?" I grumbled, tying my messy hair up in a quick braid. "It's the middle of the night."

Her eyes were flitting from place to place and she fidgeted with her clothing anxiously. "I know it's late and you want to sleep, but there's something I have to tell you."

I raised an eyebrow. This was new.

"Alright," I said, standing. "What -- "

"Not here," she cut me off. "I'll meet you by the waterfall. I don't people to overhear."

Okay, this was definitely a twenty out of ten for suspicious.

"Give me a few minutes," I responded and she nodded, closing the door as she left my room. I lit a candle and threw on some quick clothes.

After a thought, I picked up the knives that -- shudder -- Dakota had given me. I'd been using practice ones that Alastar had supplied lately because I didn't want to use these anymore. They were the only ones on hand, though, so I sheathed them on my belt in case Sora decided to try something.

I walked down the steps of the waterfall. Sora was sitting on a boulder, her silhouette outlined with blue light. She was staring at the lake and painted a sorrowful picture for someone as young as I was.

"Hey," I called in greeting, taking a seat next to her while keeping some distance between us. "What was it that you wanted to talk about?"

Sora opened her mouth but nothing came out. She paused clasping her hands together. "How do I word this...Oh, where do I even start?"