Chapter Sixty Five: Icy Barriers

I mulled over Alastar's teachings. The first few attempts had ended in nothing but a deep-rooted aching in my dry hand. I had spent days just learning how to gather some sort of liquid in my palm. Now I could do this with somewhat strained ease.

Water pooled at my feet and hardened into frosty ice.

That had been my next lesson: learning how to melt and freeze water at will. That one had been easier, once I had material I could see and work with.

I clenched my fist, pulling the ice upward and me with it. I shot into the branches, nearly unseating myself in the attempt. Now Ash definitely knew my location, but I could work that out later.

My feet were unsteady on the sturdy branches. The scratchy bark dug into my hands as I grabbed something to brace myself. This was not my turf. That just made things ten times more difficult.

Then, out of nowhere, a feathered shape shot into me and shifted into a familiar being.

"Hey," Ash said with a sneaky grin. "Nice to meet you here."

I returned the smile, launching him off of me. "You too, what a coincidence."

Ash backflipped onto a nearby branch easily, crouching, and using his wings to balance himself. He made a disapproving noise. "That wasn't too nice, why can't a guy just say hello?"

I made a noncommital noise, drawing my daggers. I knew Ash would be agile enough to dodge my strikes and I was planning on using the flats only anyway.

"Maybe when the guy flys out of the blue and tackles the girl, it'd be understandable."

He nodded. "True," he said and proceeded to unstrap his bow.

Over the last few weeks, Ash and switched from sword to bow under Alastar's command. He had originally learned because his family was renowned for their humble craft: sword making. It'd apparently always been his wish to learn the bow, but his father had insisted and Ash had given in to his demands.

He was more suited to learn the bow anyways. His build was lithe and he preferred to stay in the back. He would still keep up with his sword practice but fought with his bow much more.

Ash knocked an arrow -- the tips were blunt and rounded to leave nothing more than bruises -- and aimed.

I wasn't about to sit still and take the shot so I jumped hazardously from branch to branch, arms swinging wildly. I was a quarter way around the tree and had ducked behind a crevice in the trunk when it came to me.

He was missing on purpose.

The whole point was to unbalance me even more in this unfamiliar terrain. I was a land animal out of my depth in the sky, and Ash had pressed that advantage. 

But instead of knocking me out of the tree, he was purposely aiming past me.

I had said before that if he didn't use the full extent of his power then I'd insulted, but I also felt an unexpected flare of warmth.

Which was then promptly lost in a sea of annoyance.

This time I ran along the branches leading towards Ash. He was caught unaware and refrained from using his next arrow. He dropped it as I swung at him and parried with a short sword that had replaced his original.

"What is it?" Ash asked, blocking me blow for blow.

"You better not hold back," I responded through gritted teeth. "I didn't agree to train with you for two months just for it to come to this."

My words had startled Ash and on my next strike, he didn't raise his sword in time. He clearly could have dodged, but for some reason chose not to. I skid to a halt, nearly nicking his skin but changing direction at the last minute.