Chapter Seven: Bandit Trouble

We woke early, eager to get moving out of the endless golden field. While waiting to get started, we passed around a flask of water and chatted idly.

The order to travel never came, though, and everyone was growing uneasy.

What was going on?

I went to go find out, making my way up, Ray trailing behind me just in case. Everyone had been on edge after last night.

We reached the Alpha's tent, where he was pacing nervously. Though Ray and I were only common Lupine -- or supposed to be -- but Alpha Micha looked relieved to see us.

"There's a group of bandits, Lupine outcasts, ahead. They're claiming that a white fox provoked them and they're demanding for us to turn him over."

I felt sick to my stomach as the memories washed over me. This was my fault.

"Of course we could fight them off easily, but we have the parents and children to think of. We aren't going to give them what they want even if they're being truthful."

Oh, but they were, Alpha, and it was your newest Lupine's fault.

"So we either attack or go around somehow, which is impossible because they'll just follow. Although I hate to say it...I'm afraid we'll have to attack."

He said it confidently, but I could see he didn't wish to. I didn't either. I couldn't bear the thought of letting others march to their deaths because I went herb picking like an idiot.

Before Alpha could call his generals or whoever, I interrupted. "Let me go instead. I'll see if I can negotiate."

Alpha Micha shook his head. "It's not worth it. They won't listen, or they'll ask for something outrageous."

I ignored him, turning to Ray, who inclined his head. "When I go, you'll probably need to hold him back. You know who I'm talking about." He nodded, and I asked the nearest scout where the attackers were camped.

"They're right in front of us, cleared out a bunch of grass. Looks like they're expecting a fight. You're not really going, are you?"

Thanking him but waving away his question, I headed in the direction he indicated, staying in human form so I could see over the tall grass.

About a mile away, their camp was situated right in our path. The mountains rose behind them, their icy caps scraping the clouds.

One of the bandit scouts rushed up, an arrow trained at my heart. Vaguely, I could hear it pounding in my ears.

These people do not cut corners when it comes to security.

I said steadily, glad there was no tremor in my voice, "I'm here to see your leader, so point that thing at me if you want. But I'm guessing he won't want a representative dead before he has a chance to see me grovel at his feet."

The scout gave a low growl, "Don't defile our mistress' name with your filthy tongue." Two more bandits stood, revealing themselves. "Follow me. Any sudden movements and you'll be dead before you can call for your Alpha. Now move."

Well, that wasn't a very nice welcome. Note the sarcasm. But then again, what did I expect, flowers and gifts? No, of course not.

Wait, mistress?

They marched me to the camp, the bandits jeering and catcalling. Stone-throwing soon followed, and my guards didn't attempt to stop it in the least.

Dodging the flying projectiles, we made our way to the largest tent in the heart of the traitor's camp. I would expect for the leader to be held in higher esteem than the rest of the members.