Chapter Thirty Nine: Wrong Captive

My heart was pounding in my chest so hard that I was sure that my captors could hear it. My head hurt even worse than that, throbbing where I'd been hit.

I'd woken only a moment ago, the hood still over my face and a gag in my mouth. Struggling had only worsened the raw skin on my ankles and wrists. Thick ropes bound me to a hard wooden chair. I couldn't even shift, that's how tight the restraints were.

From what I'd picked up from the whispered conversations around me, they were going to ransom or sell me. It made me bristle with anger but I kept quiet, taking in the information.

But it didn't last long, as they soon notice that I was awake and hushed.

I had never been good at acting.

The hood was yanked off my head and I blinked in the dim light. Five Serpentine circled me, murmuring and pointing.

Glaring as hard as I could, I tried to speak clearly through the gag. "Why am I here?"

That was the wrong thing to say apparently.

The Serpentine snickered and one ran a finger down my cheek, making me squirm in outrage. He asked in a hard voice, "Can't I have her for a night or two, boys? I might want to keep her. She's a feisty one."

Disgusted at the implication, I spat out, my words muffled, "Let me go. You don't know who you're dealing with."

"Oh, I'm sure I do," The leader in snakeskin clothing sneered. "I'm dealing with a Leonari. You'll fetch a good price. Don't try lying to me," He continued at my unbelieving expression. "I can see their symbol on your clothes. I'm sure they'll pay a fair amount to get you back."

My puzzled thoughts because clear in an instant.

They thought I was a Leonari.

I wanted to laugh. I wouldn't join that rotten family for my life.

But maybe I could use that to my advantage. They didn't know that I could manipulate water, but there was none to control.

I was in a bare wooden room, wood rotting all around. Behind the Serpentine, a door led into the forest. The only furniture was the chair I was tied to.

Unless I could hobble all the way to the door and find water, I couldn't escape. Then again, if they were going to ransom me, I had to be alive first. They had to feed me some time.

That might mean that I could get away a lot faster. And they were snakes. I could run faster than they could, both as snakes and humans. But I had to be careful not to be bitten, or things could get messy.

Pretending to be weak, I slumped down in defeat.

"Water, please," I croaked, seething inside.

One of the Serpentine nodded and left. The leader chuckled humorlessly. "Since you asked so nicely, of course you can have a cup."

Too easy.

Gritting my teeth, I refrained from spitting in his face. To get what I wanted, I had to act weak.

Act weak, act weak.

The Cobra returned with a small stone cup. He removed the gag to let me drink.

Now!

As soon as he tilted the glass, I struck, pulling the water to me, forming blades from it.

Ignoring their surprised hisses, I severed the ropes and ran for the door, grabbing my belongings from the corner.

"Stop her!" The leader screamed.