Chapter Twenty Seven: Welcome Home

Dakota had been scouting ahead while Ash and I walked in human form behind. I'd taken a sip of water but nearly spewed it out when I saw him heading in our direction.

The said person stopped dead in his tracks. "Mel?"

Sputtering, I incredulously replied, just as bewildered as he. "Erin?"

For a few stunned seconds, we just stared at each other.

Then Erin rushed forward and crushed me in a bear hug. He stood back to get a good look at me. "You've grown a bit from last time. Your new clothes look better than the Feline's plain pre-Ceremony ones."

I took him in as well, backing up. "You're looking great too. What're you doing out in the forest?"

Erin shook the hair from his eyes. "I'm checking the garden out back. Speaking of that, who's your raven friend?"

Ash had been standing stiffly to the side, but now he gripped Erin's hand in greeting, a faint smile on his face. "I got permission to come to visit the Feline's renowned markets. I met Miss Melody on the way here. We're going to the harbors with one other friend of hers. Ah, there he is now."

Dakota jogged back to us and I introduced him to my brother. "Hey. Dakota, this is Erin, my older brother. Erin, this is Dakota. Ash just told him that we're here to visit the markets and harbors."

Understanding shone in his eyes at my emphasis. He was on board.

"Uh, yeah, I'm here to accompany her on her journey here. Would you happen to know where we could stay? We've been traveling for quite a while now."

I was surprised at how polite Dakota was being. Then again, we were on a mission and we did need a place to rest. Soggy tents just didn't cut it.

Erin's face lit up. "No problem. You guys can stay at my place while you're here! I'll have to drop by Mother's house to first for something though. I'm sure that they won't mind."

I involuntarily winced.

Oh, but they would. Very much so.

I was going to see my parents again and get a lecture for who knows how long. We still had to find the Sun's Chosen one, aka the backstabber. On top of that, apparently, Erin and Mike were still oblivious to the full extent of our parent's ways.

This trip was steadily turning into a nightmare. If the fate of the world hadn't hung in the balance, I would've high-tailed it back to the Lupine already.

At least Ash had been able to come up with a good alibi on the spot. Things could've gotten complicated.

The Feline were famous for their exotic markets and harbors. Tribes would constantly send people to buy various supplies. All of the tribes were on friendly terms with each other, so visitors weren't uncommon. The Lupine didn't receive as many, considering that they lived in the mountains, but they still came now and then.

But now that it was half destroyed and abandoned, the news would soon spread...And the other tribes would soon suffer the same fate unless we trapped the Predators back in their Underworld prison. Hopefully for good.

Except that we still had no clue how to do that.

Just a minor setback.

Snapping back to the present, I trailed after Ash while Dakota and Erin chatted.

With every step, my dread mounted.

"Hey," Ash said, glancing back at me and slowing his pace. "Any tips on how to talk to your parents? I don't want to get kicked out on the first day."