Chapter Fifty Two: Mistakes Made

The jump didn't exactly go as planned.

As soon as I cleared the frame, I could instantly tell that something had gone wrong. The action itself felt off and unbalanced.

This is going to hurt, I thought in the split second before I hit the ground.

I landed awkwardly on my hip, sending shocks of pain throughout my body. Inertia made me keep rolling sideways on the rough gravel alleyway. Gritting my teeth, I clenched my fingers to distract myself from the hot spikes now shooting up my leg and torso as I tumbled to a stop.

Thank goodness I was lying in the shadow of the building and not out in the street. Who knows how that would've ended up.

Never mind that now, get up Melody! You have places to be!

Motivating myself by imagining the look on Ash's face when I showed up, I shakily got to my feet. I steadied myself, putting a hand on the wall beside me and taking a few steps forward.

I should make myself more presentable as well. I didn't want to arrive looking like a wreck.

Wait a second...

When did I start thinking like that? When have I ever cared about what I looked like? Something was wrong, I didn't usually act like this. Ever.

Deal with it later, you have other problems.

After mentally chastising myself, I quickly brushed the dust off myself and stepped -- or rather limped -- into the street. Nearly everyone had gone to watch the competition, so the streets were practically empty at this point.

All the better for me.

No one needed to see a stray, wounded Lupine out on the Serpentine streets. What was left of my pride would probably disintegrate then.

I need to get there fast, I thought. That means I'll probably have to shift. I'm not sure how my body will cope with that, but it's worth a shot...

Shifting into my wolf form, I shook myself in annoyance, trying to get rid of the heat that was trapped in my thick fur coat. The air was so humid and I was built more for cooler climates. I can't say that I liked cold weather better, but it just suited me more in this form.

I began to run, taking care not to put too much weight on my injured legs. By scenting the air and listening closely, I was able to find out where the competition was taking place. It really wasn't that hard, considering the yells and cheers could be heard even without semi-enhanced hearing. They were just that loud.

Veering left, I narrowly dodged another tribe member heading in the direction of the noises. I waved a quick apology, failing to notice the cloth tied around the Serpentine's eyes. Somehow I didn't find it unusual and just kept on running.

Which later on I would regret, so very much.

Without so much as a backward glance, I arrived at this arena looking structure where the cheers were coming from. I had no idea what all the things supporting the building were for but they were hiding the entrance somewhere.

I'm not about to let some silly poles get in the way of participating from the match.

Trying to weave my way through the poles and pillars without touching them, I saw the glimmer of an entrance. Feeling anxious to get out of this predicament, I raced towards it.

Let me out of this weird place! What is wrong with the Serpentine?

I rushed to the entrance, pausing to shift back into my usual human form before walking in. I was greeted with a rush of deafening cheers and the smell of sweat and metal.