Chapter Nine: Silent Escape

Dakota's small white fox form flickered in and out of the grass as I tried to follow behind. Though my wolf form was larger, he had no trouble outpacing me. I think I'll blame it on less practice.

Without discussing it, I knew we had to travel in a huge arc to avoid possible scouts and bandits. Zanik had warned me not to attempt it, but it seemed like the only way to avoid our destruction.

Our journey would take a little longer than half the day. That brought us dangerously close to the bandit's deadline. I'd just have to hope that we'd make it in time.

No, we would. No if's or maybe's.

Dakota ran ahead at full sprint, and I hurried to catch up. He sidestepped to let me see what was happening.

The bandit's camp was just in front, sprawling over the prairie.

Not good. That meant another detour in order to get away from the camp.

Dakota realized it too because he turned and raced west, parallel of the camp. I followed, trying to not think of the consequences.

Being a hunter, Dakota must've known just about everything about the land. Swiftly calculating the best route, he led me through the grassy field.

I noticed signs of bandits and pointed it out to him. Accordingly, we swerved away into an even wider arc. More obstacles started to slow us even more until we were crawling on our stomachs.

Dakota eventually guided me to a series of fox and various creatures' tunnels that could let us pass through undetected. That was what we were hoping, only if Zanik hadn't discovered them already.

We decided to take the risk. Too much time had been lost already.

Of course, as soon as we entered the tunnels, another problem arose.

Snakes.

No, not Serpentine snakes. Just regular, venomous, annoying, snakes.

No offense Adrian.

I caught Dakota's eye and shook my head. We needed to get out of here and find another option. He nodded, emerald eyes burning. More time lost. One step closer to oblivion.

Backing out of the now confining tunnels, we once again took off in the tall, sun-bleached grass. Nine hours left. Nine hours.

Tick, tock.

Once, we nearly ran over a scout sleeping on the job. "Don't touch him", Dakota had whispered. No need to warn the bandits of our presence. We sprinted off, nearly past the camp now.

After we passed it, we would throw all caution to the winds and run all out. That is... when we passed it.

The camp was away in the distance, but we kept running into scouts. Luckily we either caught them napping, or quickly detained them with their own rope and supplies.

Perks of catching them off guard.

Almost out of range of the bandit's scouts and camp. The lupine camp was in sight on the mountain. So close.

The only problem now was climbing it. How on earth would we make it on time?

Five hours left.

Tick, tock.

Dakota glanced behind his shoulder and motioned for me to follow. He ducked into one of the mountain's numerous caves.

"Rest for a bit," He huffed, laying on the freezing stone floor. I'd forgotten. Dakota was a fox. I was a wolf. If I felt great then he felt exhausted.