Chapter 5

About a week later I carried my books in hand as I walked toward the house. I'd stay low on campus, not wanting to be recognized after the spectacle Paul caused.

"Hey!" A voice shouted, and when I turned around it was Paul. I looked into his eyes, and he seemed like he had a lot on his mind. He tucked his thumb into loop of his jeans as his stance leaned to one side. "About the other night."

"It's fine Paul, I don't need you up to your tricks again." I shook my head and began walking away from him. Paul walked with me as I looked straight ahead, avoiding eye contact.

"Look, I know what I did was horrible. From the panty raid to the closet... but I didn't know it would end like that." Paul told me as he tried to keep walking next to me at my pace.

He finally swooped in front of me.

"At least let me do something to make it up to you." He said with his hands up. "That's the least I can do."

"What you can do is leave me alone." I answered walking past him, and he stood in front of my door.

"How about we go for a drink?" He asked me, extending a hand toward me as he blocked the door.

I look at my black leather watch, then back up at him. "It's the afternoon."

He grinned. "Oh right."

"So then let me take you to a diner." He suggested. "I know one that's right by the Kokosing River".

I thought for a moment, and weighed the pros and cons. One of the pros was that I may actually get closure about what the hell happened that night. The con would be that Paul is a known prankster and this could've all been bull crap.

"Just hear me out, please." He sighed. I exhaled, and looked at my feet.

"Alright." I said and he smiled, punching his fist in the air. "I'll give you a chance. As long as you pay for lunch then I'm fine with going."

"Of course I'll pay." Paul said placing his hand on his chest. "What type of guy do you think I am?"

"A childish one." I joked as we walked toward the end of the house lawn.

"I'll give you that one." Paul grinned as he pointed at me.

In the diner we sat across each other as Paul hastily ate his sandwich. I held mine in front of my mouth with my lips parted as I watched him scarf it down.

He chewed, and with his mouth full he said: "So, I really wanted you to know I feel bad with the way things turned out and all."

"You mentioned that." I reminded him with a risen brow. I hoped Newman didn't bring me inside this diner to waste my time.

"You see, I planned that panty raid a while back. And when I saw you outside that day, I knew you'd probably want to come to the party." Paul explained. "So, I waited until I got you alone and then asked the question."

"But I didn't want to go, and now I regret going even more." I said bitterly.

"I know, I'm sure you regret it all— I do too." Paul shook his head. "You see, I never planned that wild goose chase I had you on. And once I got upstairs I guess the boys realized what was happening and dropped in to listen."

"Why do you spend your whole college life drinking, partying and getting suspensions on your record?" I asked him honestly. He rose his eyebrows and sat back in his seat.