Chapter 7

"You should walk ahead." Paul said as we walked toward our houses. "So people don't think anything."

"What do you mean by that?" I asked him. He shoved his hands into his pockets and looked at his feet. "You were just loving on me—"

"I was pleasing you." He looked into my eyes. "And you pleased me to."

"Is that all we did?" I looked at him sadly. He didn't dare answer.

"Alright. I understand now." I felt very dejected in that moment. I walked ahead of him and a few moments later he began walking as well.

As I walked down the pathway to my house, I unlocked my front door. When I turned around, Paul was standing in his yard watching me.

He waved at me, and I didn't bother to wave back. Opening my door, the house was quiet. I began sneaking in, but someone stopped me.

"Where are you headed so quietly?" Mildred asked as she sat in the dark living room. She pulled a string attached to a lamp next to her, and illuminated her area on the couch. She had on thin gold rimmed glasses, and an open book was in her lap.

"Millie." I said quietly. "I didn't think you'd be awake."

"I don't sleep until I know all of my girls are safe at home." Mildred reminded me. I slowly walked to her, hoping she wouldn't ask what I was doing or who I was with.

"I'm going to head up and go to sleep." I said as I stood by her. "I've had a long night."

"Okay then." Mildred said. I began walking back, thankful that she didn't ask anymore questions. But I was glad too soon. "Kappa Phi was looking for their boy, Newman."

I stood still.

"Newman, huh?" I asked her, not daring to turn back around.

"He's on suspension right now with a curfew. Dave was really worried about where he was." Mildred told me.

"What does this have to do with me?" I asked, trying to pretend like I didn't know exactly where Paul was.

"Well, Paul was the only Kappa Phi out after twelve, and you are the only girl in our little house out after that time." Mildred said.

At that moment, Barbara walk in the front door.

"Hello Barb—" I tried to greet her but she went straight up to her room. I turned around to Mildred, and she took off her glasses and folded them. "Barbara was out."

"Barbara is always out." Mildred announced. "But I even wait for her to come home."

"So what's the big deal about me?" I placed my hand on my hip and Mildred stood up while closing her book.

"The big deal is that I hope you weren't out with that boy. Not after what he did to you." Mildred squinted at me. "I don't know what sweet words he could've said to make you forget, but he humiliated you."

"I wasn't out with him." I lied nervously.
Mildred bent over and turned out the lamp light.

"Alright." Mildred smiled. I knew she didn't believe me, but she wasn't the type of person to start friction. "Have a nice night."

She walked past me and went up the steps. In my room, I shut my door and began slipping out of my clothes.

As I slipped off my dress, I noticed a flashing coming from outside of my window. As I looked out, I noticed it was coming from the Kappa Phi house.

Someone was flicking their lamp on and off, and as the lamp periodically flashed on I recognized exactly who it was. Paul sat on his window sill with a smirk, his shirt was off and all he had on was his pajama pants.

"Go to sleep!" I mouthed to him. Then I looked down at my body and covered myself with my bedsheet.

He shook his head no, and then pointed down.

"What?" I whispered, although he couldn't hear me. He read the confused expression on my face. He pointed down again.

"I don't understand." I said softly as I shook my head. He pointed down, then motioned steps with his two fingers.

Downstairs. He wanted me to go downstairs.

My heart began to race, and I waved my hands no. Then I gave him a time out sign with my hands. He laughed, walking away from his window.

I calmed down and closed my curtains. Then I removed my bedsheet and took off my underwear. After slipping on my satin night gown, I brought out a small round box that I kept my hair curlers in.

Something began knocked against my window. I looked toward it as I sat on my bed, then figured it wasn't anything.

Another knock happened as I picked up a curler out of the box. I looked up and at the window. I couldn't see out since I drew the curtains.

Then, two quick consecutive knocks happened. I jumped off of my bed, stomped to the window and opened my curtains.

Paul stood in the yard with one large rock in his hand. I opened my window then crossed my arms. He didn't bother to put on a shirt, and

"If you didn't open it, I was gonna throw more than a pebble." He smiled as he looked up at me.

"That big rock would've broken my window." I said in an annoyed tone.

"It would've gotten your attention." He said, pushing his thumbs around the waist band of his pants and squinting one eye up at me

"You're supposed to be inside. You have a curfew." I reminded him and he scoffed.

"Who told you that? Dave? He always has something controlling to say." Paul rolled his eyes. I huffed as I leaned over and rested my shoulders on the window sill.

"I'm not going down there, Paul. Now leave before you wake everyone up." I sighed.

"Well I'm not leaving until you come down, so I guess I'll just wait here then." He shrugged. I rolled my eyes.

"Go to sleep, Paul." I told him and shut the window. I sat on my bed, but something told me to check the window again. Paul still stood out there, looking into my room. He waved for me to come down there, and I shook my head then closed my curtains.

Laying in bed, I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep. Paul Newman was not going to trick me this time, I knew it was best for me to stay away.