T H I R T Y T W O - "Work for it."

This chapter is dedicated to @sellylovin for voting and leaving some of the best comments, thank you so much xx

••••

After Axel and I's talk, we head back into the dorm with the aim of leaving to talk about our situation.

However, Emma and Dean's smug smirks delay us a little bit.

As soon as we open the door, whistles and cheering surround us both.

Dean grins at me cheekily before asking, "Any hickey's yet?"

Both Axel and I shake our heads, confused and majorly bewildered.

"That's poor, man. Poor." Dean shakes his head, mocking a school teacher telling a student off.

"Fuck off." Axel scoffs, his dislike clear as day. "Skylar and I need to go talk."

"And make out." Dean throws in, to which all three of us send him a death glare.

"Ignore him," Emma rolls her eyes. "But thank god you've finally realised that. I was starting to decay over here with all this mopping around."

"You're so dramatic." I scold.

"Can't wait till you come back and you're a couple again." Emma grins, clapping her hands together.

"We're just going to talk." I stress, throwing a small bag over my shoulder which contains my phone and other necessities.

The small bag is paired with my black skinny jeans and my navy bomber jacket. My hair is up in a bun and I'm basically make-up free; which might be good thing if this discussion leads to tears. The whole thing put together is not quite a showstopping outfit, but still acceptable all the same.

"You ready?" Axel asks, standing by the door.

"Yeah." I say, walking out of the door that Axel is holding open for me.

Curse chivalry, it's too damn powerful over my poor heart.

Axel and I walk out onto the street, our footsteps just about the only thing you can hear due to it being a Friday night - all of the other students out clubbing somewhere different.

Not me, though. I have to deal with my relationship problems - whoo hoo!

Axel and I walk in silence for most of the walk, Axel sometimes trying to make small talk which I just shut down with one word answers.

I can't help it, though, I have no idea where this night is going to take me. Questions fly through my head; what if he doesn't apologise? What if he lies again? What if we don't figure this out?

I can't think about an answer to the last question because I know I can't face it. Throughout this whole break, there's always been a small ball of hope at the end of the tunnel. That Axel and I will sort all of this out and we'll be fine. We'll be back to where we left off. The thought of not having that, leaves me wanting to be sick.

Approaching Axel's sleek building, my breathing becomes shaky.

Axel senses this immediately, taking my hand into his warm, familiar one and giving it a squeeze. He clearly knows his boundaries, though, as he takes his hand out of mine immediately.

However brief the gesture was, it still made my body come to life. With my heart fluttering, my stomach clenching and my mind buzzing - I'm left breathless by his small but significant gesture.

This all comes crashing down around me when I enter the building's elevator with Axel, though. Knowing that this is actually happening, that we actually need to fix the problems that have been looming over us since day one.