written in the stars: blast from the past

This is what Leroy said in my star signs the other day, 'Someone significant is coming back into your life, it's up to you if you choose to let them

This is what Leroy said in my star signs the other day, 'Someone significant is coming back into your life, it's up to you if you choose to let them.' I didn't know what to think when I first read it, but I'd spent ages thinking of who it might be.

And then Ben called me this afternoon.

I can't tell you how long I've long I've waited for his name to flash up on my caller ID; okay, that might be a lie — I can tell you exactly how long it's been, right down to the nearest second if you want me to.

Even though I've acted like I'm over him, the truth is that I've been patiently waiting for Ben's call almost every-single-day since that night in McDonald's car park. It's stupid, I know, but now he's called me. He's finally called.

"Els, how are you? I've missed you," he said when I didn't answer him.

I couldn't answer him; I didn't know what to say. Calling him out on his shitty behaviour was probably a good place to start, but after all this time I couldn't risk him hanging up on me.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm okay," I said trying to control the huge smile, and choke back the tears at the same time.

"What are you doing tonight? We should talk, do you want to go out to dinner?"

Who did he think he was? Did he actually believe that he could call me up after everything that had happened and I'd just drop everything and go out with him? Anyway, of course, I wanted to go out with him, but I'd seen all the articles in magazines telling you to play it cool.

"So I'll pick you up at seven, shall I? Wear that dress I like, yeah?"

I hadn't even agreed to meet up with him, but Ben seemed so sure that it was going to happen anyway. He'd always been like that, in control of everything and sure of what he wanted. I think that's one of the things I found most attractive about him.

Fuck! I hadn't shaved my legs in so long, I mean it is winter after all. And I had a huge spot, that'll teach me for going to bed with my makeup on. How had all this happened? I was going on a date with Ben!