reflections

I've been thinking a lot lately, it's funny how one day getting dumped by your boyfriend is the worst thing in the world; it feels like you'll never get over it

I've been thinking a lot lately, it's funny how one day getting dumped by your boyfriend is the worst thing in the world; it feels like you'll never get over it. And you can't imagine a day when you don't cry for your lost love until one day you just don't reach for the tissues anymore.

You come to realise that you didn't do anything wrong and despite their insistence that you'll stay friends, it just won't happen. Some people are arseholes, and you're better off without those people in your life.

I think it's only now, that I've had lots of time to reflect on everything that I've finally managed to put it all into perspective. I used to think I knew everything, but I didn't and I still don't now. There was a reason that my friends weren't too keen on Ben — they could see the faults where I only saw perfection. And there was a reason that Shaun got dumped at the altar by Mel — he was obsessive after one stupid kiss, I can only imagine what he was like during a four-year relationship.

I've put my experiences with Ben, Shaun and Michael down to just that, experience. It's been a real learning curve I suppose; they're everything that you don't want in a boyfriend. It's weird because on paper they all seemed like a better catch than Dean, but in real life, he was the best of the bunch, and look how that turned out. I think that was for the best too — I see him occasionally, sometimes I call into my dad's office on my lunch break and he's always there working, sometimes he joins us, but he's got a girlfriend now, and he's happy.

A boyfriend isn't on the agenda for me, I don't want one. I know I used to say it all the time how I was done with blokes, but I didn't really mean it then, I kept thinking well, the perfect boyfriend will just somehow turn up one day — what an idiot! It's just easier to take things day by day see what happens, maybe the right guy will come along, maybe he won't, but I'll be okay either way.

It feels like I'm finally growing up and making some positive choices. I've fully embraced the single life; I get to do what I want whenever, and with whoever I choose. That makes me sound like I'm living this crazy party lifestyle, but I'm not. Monday to Friday, I get to go to my crappy little job, answering the telephone, making tea and pretending to like that bitch, Laura. On weekends Aaron and I hit up Enigma together, we get drunk, and dance or in Aaron's case try to dance, and then he pulls some random guy while I'm left alone.

And I'm okay with that.