Chapter 1

I was born on April 15, 3038. The town I was born in was the only town in the province. It was known simply as The Town. The dogs that lived here were either poor or less poor. Thankfully my family was among the less poor. This didn't mean much. Basically, we had a slightly bigger house and a little more money. My dad was a hunter so we always had enough food and money. My mom, Sandy, made collars. She was the best in town.

The Town was in the middle of a dessert, but it did have a long river that ran not too far from it. The downside to living in a desert was the lack of food to hunt. Many hunters fished or settled for the small number of meerkats, jackrabbit, and desert sheep. Not my dad. He would travel every three weeks to the closest forest, about a one and a half days journey. He would loud up his sled with deer, rabbit, fox, and sometimes squirrel. Then he would travel back home and sell them at the market.

Our town had about 200 dogs living in it. Most were clothes makers, cooks or hunters. More of our population lived at the palace. Which was about 100 dogs. Mostly servants and guards. There were a few governors and noblemen. And of course the royal family: The king, queen, princess, and princes. Then there was the army. We had five brigades or packs. Each with about 80 dogs and a commander. The prince commanded one of these armies.

Our population was all dogs. My family was Alaskan Malamutes. My dad was grey and white and my mom was a pale yellow and white. I, on the other hand, was pitch black except for a strange red mark on my paw that had been there since birth. That's why my parents named me Scarlet. My parents loved me and did what they could to make sure I had a good life. While most female puls learned to sew or cook, I learned to hunt and fish. This is where my story begins.

...

"Dad! Dad! Wake up! Wake! Up!" I yipped in my dad's ear. Jumping up and down on him and tugging at his ear. He stood up with me still clinging to his ear. He tossed me off with a gentle shake.

"I'm awake," he said while a deep bellowing laugh. "What are you so excited about scarlet?"

"What!? You don't remember what today is!?" I said with a whimper.

"I remember little one, I was just teasing," he said as he ruffled my hair with his paw. I cover most of my small head. I was only ten at the time.

"Alright let's go," he said strapping on his sled. I hopped on and we went trotting through town as the sun began to peek over the eastern mountains. We left the village and traveled until the town was barely visible.

"Why are we stopping," I asked.

"This is where we are hunting."

"I thought we were going to the forest," I whined.

"Haha! the forest is much too far for your first hunt," he chuckled.

"Fine. So what are we hunting? Antelope, Oryx, Sheep?!"

"Nope. We're hunting Meerkat."

"Ooh man! That so small!"

"Scarlet! You have to start small. Ok?"

"Ok"

"Now you stay here while I go find us some Meerkats."

"Yes, sir!" I said once again excited to hunt.

Dad came back when the sun was aways over the mountains. The bright summer sun heating the desert below. I was laying under the sled for shade when he got back.

"Come on Scarlet, I found some this way."

"Coming," I said as I crawled out from under the sled. We traveled about a half a mile to a slightly grassy hill. At first, I looked like nothing, then a long weasel-like creature popped up.

"Ok scarlet. Listen carefully. The first thing you do when hunting us look to see which way the wind is going. You want to be downwind from the meerkats so they don't smell you."

We stayed still I closed my eyes feeling the wind. A slight warm breeze ruffled from my head to my tail.

"It's going west!" I cried triumphantly.

"Good. Now meerkats are hard to catch because they are always watching. So you want to find a place to hide. And make sure your shadow doesn't show."

We snuck up to a small hill near the den.

"No crouch down and wait for one to pop up. When it does you pounce," dad whispered.

"Ok. I'm ready." We waited and waited then finally a head popped up.

"Now!" Dad barked

I lept. At first, I thought I missed then I felt my young teeth close around a warm furry object. I landed as my jaws snapped shut with a crunch. I dropped the dead meerkat and turned to my dad with an excited smile.

"That's my girl!!" He barked bounding over to me.

We Hunter till the sunset getting several more meerkats and an unlucky jackrabbit. Once we were done we loaded up the sled and headed back to town. It was dark when we got back. Mom had dinner ready for us when we arrived.

"Mom look what we got!" I yelped jumping inside the house.

"That's amazing Scarlet. I am so proud!" Mom said as she nuzzled me.

"You should have seen her out there, Sandy, she was a natural. Hey, Scarlet do you want to go with me to the market tomorrow?"

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" I jumped up and down.

The next day dad and I loaded up the sled with the meerkats, some deer, and some rabbit. Dad had his own booth at the market. If he wasn't hunting he was selling meat. We got there before the sun was up. By the time we were set up the sun was just rising over the mountains and the market was bustling. Many dogs loved our meat because it mostly came from the forest. Dad knew all the dogs that came to buy. At noon he gave me some coins to buy lunch. So I went to the cafe and bought us two fish. On my way back I noticed a pup about my age walking with his dad at the market. He was one of the first pups I had seen.

After we finished lunch dad opened the shop again. About mid-afternoon, when the day was the hottest I laid down next to the cart. My back half was under the cart so that I could stay in the shade. Slowly my eyes closed and I drifted off.

"What are you doing?" A voice asked.

"Huh!" I yelped as I hit my head on the cart above me. I shook my head, opening my eyes. Eyes! I was looking into tow big brown eyes out inches from mine. "Ah!" I yelped jumping back and hitting my head again. "Ow," I said rubbing the sore spot.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you." It was the pup I had seen before. He was a tall tan and black German Shepherd about my age.

"It's ok," I said meekly.

"I'm Kade!" He said perking up as he lowered his head in a play position.

"I'm Scarlet!" I yipped mirroring his position. I turned my head toward my dad.

"Go play! But be back here at sunset and don't leave the market."

"Yes, sir!" I said as we ran off playing.

We played all day and long into the night as our fathers talked. After that day we met as often as possible to play. We quickly became best friends.