Chapter 13

"Why are we not just attacking! We know they are at the palace! We should just go attack them now!" Akela growled standing up from his seat.

"Akela! Sit down! Learn your place! You are neither an Alpha nor in charge!" Aslan, a tall light brown alpha, growled in return.

"I think we, non-alphas should be allowed to give our opinions! It has been over a week and no decisions have been made!" A dog barked.

Barks and growls filled the cave we were meeting in. I sighed before silently slipping out the opening. I walked the narrow path that led me to the flat top of the Western Hills. It wasn't a tall mountain but you could see the Lulas River rush through the canyon not far below.

I took a deep sigh as I sat down and watch the crimson sun sink into the forest below.

What am I doing! I thought out loud. How could I be the one to bring about a new area when I don't even know who I am. Am I a dog like my past or am I a wolf like my present. I let out another sigh.

"You can't be so hard on yourself, all this is new to you."

I looked up to see a tall, beautiful wolf. Her bright teal eyes shown strong against her pure white coat. Her voice was like a song. But not just any song. The kind of song that a mother sang: sweet, soft, loving, protective.

"How can I lead them when I don't even know where I came from, much less where I am going," I asked.

"Little one! You focus too much on the situations of your past! You are not who you are because of what you and others around you do! But because of how you choose to learn from those situations!"

"But.."

"No buts! Never be defined by your past situations, they are lessons, not names!"

"My whole life I have been told what I am and now that no one is telling me I don't know what to do." I sighed

"This is the easy part. You choose what you want!"

"But what if I am too weak and scared?"

"A wise wolf once told me 'You are strong because been weak. You are fearless because you have been afraid. And you are wise because you have been foolish.' Your history doesn't define you but I can help shape you." The white wolf smiled at me as she spoke.

I smiled back, "Thanks Raksha. That helped a lot."

"What do you say we go back to the meeting and let them know how is in charge, cause I think you have an idea of what to do."

I nodded in agreement.

"Oh! Hey Raksha!" I called after her as we made our way down the hill. "Who was the wolf that told you that?"

She smiled lovingly, "Your mother. She and I were close friends. You remind me of her; in appearance and in spirit."

"Oh! Thanks. I wish I could have known her."

"Oh! Yes! I wish you could have met her but she does live in you. I saw her the second I saw you. You even carry the same color marking on your paw."

I smiled down at my paw. It made me happy to have a the to my real parents.

"Uh hem!" I cleared my voice as I walked into the still arguing meeting.

The dogs and wolves went silent in an instant.

"I know you all have been anxiously waiting for a battle plan. And I must apologize for lacking skill in that area. But I am here and ready with a plan. It is simple but it will work. We wait!"

"Wait!" The cave lit up in arguing, again.

"Hush!" I howled. They silenced their cries and sat. "The dogs know where we are and their main goal is to wipe out all wolves and we are all right here. So why bring the fight to them when they can tire themselves out coming to us."

Raksha smiled and nodded in approval and reassurance. I smiled back took and deep breath and gave out orders.

...

"Scarlet it has been five days of waiting and they still have not left the town!" Akela whined. "We should move to attack!"

"No!" I stated. "We do not attack! That is what he wants! Where are the scouts?"

"They have not returned yet. I will send them up here when they do return."

"Please do."

I watched the dogs and wolves from my seat on the top of the mountain. They all were working hard to learn to fight, heal and do what they could to help.

The sun was beginning to set when Kade and Saige stepped up to where I was sitting.

"Hey!" I yipped, my tail wagging.

"Hey yourself!" Kade smiled. He didn't smile much anymore. He stayed silent and trained hard. He followed orders but didn't interact beyond that. But he always smiled when he saw me.

"We just got back from scouting and we have good and bad news!" Saige barked. "Good new is Thor is on the move. Headed this way."

"That's great! And the bad news?" I asked.

"Well... That's army is a twice as big as we expected and much larger than ours."

"I see... Well, we will have to make up for it in spirit and force!" I said before trotting down the mountain path.

"Where are you going!?" Kade asked following after me.

"I have to go tell everyone the time has come!"

In the last light of day, I went to all of the training groups to inform them to get rest. The army would be here in less than two days.

We rested and strategize the next day. By the dawn of the next morning, we could hear the thunder of dogs marching toward us. They had arrived and set up camp near thunder hollow by the time the sun had risen over the mountains.

I made my way down the mountain and stood in front of people.

"Today is the day. Fight with courage and strength. Today we fight under a united warrior spirit. It is not made up of wolves nor is it made of dogs, but it is made it is made up of the collective battle cries of our ancestors! Today we fight as one! Tomorrow we live as one!"

I lifted my nose to the sky and let out a loud, powerful, battle cry. The wolves and dogs joined in howling, barking, and baying in the union.

I lead the army, with Kade and Lakota by my side, down to the lower part of the river.

On the other side stood Thor, Atlas, and their army.

"Give up while you still can, Pup!" Thor growled.

"I will not! I am Scarlet Rose! Rightful Alpha of the Wolves and I will not back down!" I howled.

"Very well! Charge!" Thor growled.

"FOR THE WOLVES!!" I howled as I lead the charge!