Chapter 4

At first, I slept with only darkness but then there as a flash. A flash of brown. Then the dog was back. But this time not in the forest. We were standing on the edge of a cliff, water rushed loudly below. Thunder Hollow. The dog's face was so clear. His thick brown fur ruffled in the breeze. He had a dark brown star in between two bright blue eyes. On his miss and under his eyes he had spots, the same color as his eyes. I have spent years looking for you! Come! I have much to tell you! I am so sorry it has taken this long! He spoke words but his mouth did not move. He simply smirked.

I shot awake, panting, sweat covering my paws and nose. I stood up, making sure to not wake dad, and I walked toward the river. I needed to get this dog out of my mind. I stepped out into the light of the almost full moon. The walls of the canyon quickly fell away to the rushing waters below. I played down my paws laying over the edge. I stared at the water as asking for an answer. Finally, I lifted my head. Ready to head back. I glanced at the other side before turning to leave. Wait! I whipped around to face the other side of the canyon. There on the other side, glinting in moonlight, was the dog and worst of all he was just smirking.

"You!" I said out loud with a growl. Silently I cursed him for haunting my dreams.

All of the sudden he turned and ran. I quickly followed after him. He ran along the river edge. I followed right behind him on the opposite side of the river. Then, as fast as he started running he skidded to a stop. I stopped as best I could. Turning to face him I realized where we were. The river had narrowed and calmed for a small section and there stood an old wooden bridge. I didn't dare cross it knowing I was not allowed to. Knowing someone was probably watching.

A loud creak snapped me out of my thoughts. The dog was crossing. I backed up slowly. I turned ready to run.

"Wait!" The dog barked. His deep voice matched the one in my dream.

"What?!" I growled. He stepped off the bridge and walked up to me. I back up further.

"Don't come any closer dog!" I growled.

A deep laugh erupted from the dog. He laughed so hard he ruled onto the ground holding his stomach.

"What is so funny!" I grouched.

"I... am...not a...dog!" He said between bursts of laughter.

"What! What's else could you be, a fox?"

Finally, he stood up. And walked so close I could feel his breath. I thought I was tall for a dog but he stood feet taller than me. He was much taller than dad. I found myself cowering in his shadow.

His smirk quickly faded into a frown. He stepped back.

"You really don't know?" He asked in confusion.

"Don't know what?!" I asked.

"Wolves... are real!" He whispered in a dramatic voice.

"What the hell. Why did you get super dramatic," I said mimicking his frantic whisper.

"I don't know just thought it would some effect," he said with a smirk. "Why are you not surprised that wolves are real."

"I'm not surprised because I don't believe you," I smirked back.

His face turned from smirk to surprised to angry.

"Now hang on just a minute. Are you saying you don't believe that I am a wolf."

"Yes, that is what I'm saying, Dog!" My smirk turned into a mischievous smile.

"Why you little punk. I will show you! We are real. Come with me!" He said beginning to cross the bridge.

"No! I'm not allowed to cross."

"And why do you think that is." He said staring me dead in the eyes.

"Because it is dangerous over there. No one knows what is over there. The king forbids crossing."

"Hmm. You should start asking more questions instead of just blindly following lies."

"How dare you insult the king! You will be tried for this!" I said lunging at him.

He swiftly moved out of the way, I flew past him and ended up in the dirt.

"Please come with me." He begged, dropping to the ground as low as possible. He let out a low whine.

"What are you doing?" I laughed.

"It's a wolf thing. You submit to those of a higher rank. Especially, the alpha." He said only his eyes looking upward.

"I'm sorry but no. I cannot go with you." I said then I turned tail and walked back to the forest. Just as I had stepped into the forest. The most beautiful sound I had every heard song high over the tries. It's mournful, fearful, sorrowful notes played high above my head. I turned to see the dog nose the moon, howling. Dogs didn't howl. It suddenly hit me. Everything he said was true. When returned to reality I went back to talk to him but he was gone. Suddenly I heard more howls. Some sad and fearful, some far away, some angry. But all in all, there were dozens of howls. For the first time, I heard them. In my mind, I like to believe that music played every night before this one but it was only when I believed that I heard them.

As I walked back to the campsite I smiled at the sound. It was truly the most beautiful sound I had ever heard. I fell asleep that night listening to the music of legends and for the first time, I believed those legends were true.