Chapter 3

I hesitated at the door, replaying her words in my head. You don't belong. I looked through the open door. I saw the faces of the pups. They were kind, inviting, accepting. I took a deep breath and stepped in. I may not have belonged but I was accepted. The rest of the day was filled with boring lessons about the flora and fauna of the area.

That's almost lessons went. For the for a year of school, we do not learn much. We learned the basics of plants and animals, how the market worked, how our government worked. Kade, Bella and I became close friends. Lila continued to bully me but Kade and Bella helped me get past that. We all grew in size and strength. Kade had grown a little more sullen after his dad was drafted into the army. His dad was all he had. He was heartbroken when his dad left. After that, he lived with an older lady not far from the school. Our second year of school flew by faster than the first.

"Bye, kids! I'll see you next year! Have a good summer!"

"Come on! Kade! Bella! Let's go swimming!"

"Ok, scarlet we're coming!"

I just out the door of the long school building. I skidded to a stop at the sight of my dad. He was supposed to be on the hunt for another two days!

"Dad!" I yelled running and tackling him.

"Hey! There my girl!" He chuckled as he rolled onto his back with a thud.

"Hey! Mr. Talon!" Kade yipped. He loved my dad, seeing as my dad was the closest thing he had to one.

"We are going to go swim. Do you want to come?" I asked jumping up and down.

"Actually I have a big surprise to tell you about!" He said in his deep dad voice

"Ok! I'll meet you guys down there in a sec," I said as I walked off with my dad.

We walked down the path in silence.

"So, the surprise! As you know the summer break last two months," he said as we walked down the road towards the river.

"Yeah," I said following next to him.

"And as you know I leave again to hunt. And I will be gone for about two weeks."

"Uh Huh"

"Well, this trip. I want you to come!"

"What!" I stopped dead in my tracks

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" I yipped. I had been waiting for him to take me since the first time we hunted. Now, as a 15-year-old, I was finally going with dad.

"Now run along and play with your friends. We are not leaving for another week or so."

"Awesome! I cannot wait do tell Kade."

"Be home by sundown," my dad called as I ran to meet my friends at the river.

They were swimming at our favorite place. It was a deep but calm part of the river. It was not too far from the town and it was right next to the dam that created Jade Shallows Lake. We enjoyed climbing up the dam and jumped into the water.

I ran up to the top of the cement structure.

"Guys guess what!" I called down.

"What?!" Kade yelled back with a huge smile.

I jumped into the water slashing a large wave over him and Bella.

"Dad is taking me hunting in the forest in about a week!"

"Scarlet! That awesome! I know you have always wanted to go hunt there," Kade congratulated me.

We swam and jumped in and out of the water for a while. Then we climbed out and laid out the dry.