Chapter 10

My breath came out in gasps.

What is happening! Attach! Governor Thor! Me! What do I have to do with this!? I thought, my head spinning.

"Scarlet! Scarlet!" Saige barked shaking me out of my daze.

"What happened! Are you ok?!" He asked.

"Their coming...an attack...governor thor...me?" I said still dazed.

"Who's coming scarlet?!"

I shook my head bringing me fully out of my daze.

"There is a resistance from two of the provinces coming here to attack! I don't know why. Also someone one is working on the inside. And Governor Thor is part of it!"

"Scarlet! Calm down, take a breath," Saige said.

"Are you sure that's what you heard. Maybe you just misunderstood." Saige said.

"I am sure of what I heard! they were talking about an attack and then one of them said to go tell Thor!" Anger was beginning to well up inside of me. How could they not believe me! I thought

"Who is they? Who was talking?" Siage asked.

"I don't know? I didn't see them."

"Maybe you're just overreacting a little. I mean you were eavesdropping so maybe you just heard them wrong," Saige said.

"No! I know what I heard! Please! You have to believe me!" I yelled.

"It's not that we don't believe you it's just that w..."

Saige was interrupted by screams and bangs. We ran out of the class to see what the commotion was. Down the hall, a dog was thrown against the wall out of nowhere. Its limp body lay slumped against the wall.

"Run! Run!" Yelped a dog as he limped around the corner toward us.

The other stared confused as to what was happening. I knew. The attack was here.

We quickly saw what the dog was running from. An animal stalked around the corner.

"Run! It's wolves! Run!" Champ yelped. The class turned and ran yelling through the halls as they went.

I stood where I was. I couldn't move. I wasn't scared just confused. The animals in front of me weren't wolves. They looked kind of like wolves but they weren't. They wore metal masks that were the shape of a wolf's face but underneath that something was off. They were too short and their coats were not thick enough. Something was not right.

A flash went off in my brain as I remembered words from long ago. You should start asking more questions instead of just blindly following lies

"Scarlet! Come on!" Siage screamed from down the hall.

"No. I can't. Something is wrong. I cannot keep ignoring it." I whispered.

The animal that stalked closer was hounded by many more. Stretched from one wall of the hall to the other. The stalked closer to where I stood planted. They completely passed by the limping dog.

They are leaving someone to tell the story! I thought. This is a setup. But why? I thought to myself.

They stopped when they reached me.

"You really think you can beat a whole pack of wolves pup?!" The front one asked in a deep voice.

"No!" I said standing tall with confidence. "So it's a good thing you're not wolves!" I growled as I smiled a mischievous smile.

"Ha..ha..ha" a slow evil laugh came from behind the animals. It sent shivers down my spine. "So you figured it out did you!" The voice asked. It was a familiar voice, sort of monotone and droning.

The animals parted as the voice walked closer. "You figured everything out I presume. I am told you are a smart girl. But your too loyal, too trusting." The last line of animals parted.

I wasn't sure whether to growl, smirk, or gasp. Out of the animals stepped Governor Thor. What I didn't expect was to see Atlas smirking next to him.

"Tate! What are you doing with him!" I barked furiously.

Suddenly it all connected. The whispers I had heard was him. The weird looks he would give me. The sneaking out of the room at midnight. The super-secret projects.

"I knew there was something off about you!" I growled at the both of them.

"Haha, you know nothing little puppy!" Atlas growled back.

"I know more than you think."

"Why don't you enlighten us then," Thor growled. Even his growl was monotone and forced.

"ok. Thor is in charge of this whole operation. You have been going to all the provinces to recruit dogs for some kind of rebellion. I am guessing because you want to overthrow the king. Maybe because you don't like him. I haven't quite figured that out. So in order to get to the kind you have to get rid of his protection hence coming here. So you plan on killing everyone but one or so dogs to tell the story," I stated. "Shall I continue?"

"Yes please, I want to see what else you have figured out. I must say you have well exceeded my expectations," Thor said.

"So you get a group of dogs together. To come to kill everyone but you dress them like wolves. Why..." I paused to think. "Wait!"

It all clicked into place. I finally understood why everything seemed shifty and off.

"The plan is to overthrow the king. The plan is to attack as many places as possible. Disguised as wolves so the dogs don't get blamed!" My mind was exploding with ideas. "You wanted to blame the wolves. Not many people have seen them up close so they just assume that's what they look like. But why blame the wolves."

I gasped, "The betrayal from the wolves! That wasn't the wolves either! It was you!" I yelled at Thor. "You set them up. This time and last. The only thing I cannot figure out is why?"

Thor's evil smile sent a cold shiver down my back. "I did it because they took everything! I was supposed to be the head chair when the council decided Red, a wolf, would be better. Before I could blink everyone loved him, my wife left me, and I lost my place on the council! All because of a stupid wolf!" Thor screamed. "So I killed one of the council members and it got blamed on the wolf. The war broke out and the wolves were banished. It was the perfect plan. Life was good. Until you came along."

"Me! What do I have to do with anything?!" I yelped very confused.

"Oh, you naive little pup!" He smirked. "It's a shame you will die before you find out."

"No! You can't kill her!" I turned to see my class still standing at the end of the hall.

I whipped back around as Thor let out an evil laugh before smirking darkly. "leave scarlet she is mine but... Kill them rest!" He yelled. The dogs behind him left to action. Running down the hall.

"No!" I screamed as they took off after my friends.

"I am finally going to kill you. Soon there will be no more of your kind!" Thor growled as he knocked me down.

"What do you mean no more of my kind!" I yelped as he pinned me, pushing his heavy paws against my throat.

"It's a shame you will never get to know!"

His sinister smirk was the last thing I saw before I blacked out.

Death. It was cold and black and like nothing I had ever experienced.

Then I heard noises. Bangs, barks, growls. I opened my eyes slightly. Colors of grey and brown flashed back and forth in front of my eyes. Then all was dark.