Chapter 7

Mom threw a big party when we got home. All my friends and their families came. There was food, music, and dancing that lasted long into the night. The music flooded out through the closed door and up to the roof where I laid. I sighed as I watched the twinkling stars.

"Everything ok?" Kade asked as he stepped onto the roof.

"Yeah! It was just kind of suffocating in there," I replied and sat up as Kade sat down with me.

"So you excited about being a guard?" He asked matching my gaze at the stars.

"Yes! I am so excited and I am excited we will have basic training together!"

"Yeah! I'm excited too!" He said with a sigh.

"How are you doing with your posting? I know that must be hard."

"Actually I am doing better than I thought I would. I am excited for the chance to try. I am however nervous about my pack."

"What do you mean?"

"I am in pack four and the commander of that pack is Commander Cowlan. He is known for being old school and very strict. I don't know. It might not be that bad."

"You're going to be amazing! You're going to be the best in the pack and you'll be a commander in no time!" I said reassuring him.

"Yeah! I should get Mrs. Sharry home. I will see you in the morning ok!"

"Ok! Goodnight!" I said nuzzling him goodnight.

"See you tomorrow!" He said before heading out.

"See you!" I called after him.

I went back inside and enjoyed the rest of the party. Soon everyone left and I fell fast asleep.

The morning came all too soon. I knew that my life would never be the same and somehow it didn't scare me. It excited me. I took a deep breath and stepped out of the house. My parents were waiting by the gate.

"Are you ready? We were going to walk you to the market." My mother's soothing voice called to me as I walked across dirt covers yard.

"Umm... please don't... Uh... take this the wrong way... but... I was gonna walk by myself. I think it is best if I do something on my own." I said knowing this would break my mother's heart.

Her face saddened knowing this was the last moment with me for a long time.

"I love you!" My mom said pulling me into a tight hug.

"I love you too!"

"Aw, my little girl!" My dad cried pulling me I to a large bear hug.

"Dad! I love you too but I'm not a little girl. I'm 16 and about to start training!"

"I know! But you'll always be my little girl!"

"I know dad! I love you guys!"

Then I walked out of the gate and into an unknown future.

Kade was waiting at the end of my road. He smiled as I approached.

"You ready!" I tipped and jumped up and down.

"Ready as I'll ever be!" He replied bounding off to the market. I laughed as I bounded after him.

We reach the market just as the cart arrived. Then about one then another.

"Two carts? I thought there was just one. There are not that many of us," I said with confusion.

"I don't know. I thought so too."

A large Rottweiler stepped off the first cart. "Listen up everyone!" his bark instantly quieting the crowd. "There are two carts here. The first will take future guards to their training. The second will take soldiers to their training."

My excitement faded as I realized what this meant: Kade and I would not be training together. This was our last goodbye for who knows how long.

"You will have a few minutes to say goodbye then it is time to go!" The Rottweiler's bark rung over the market square.

I turned to Kade seeing that he had come to the same realization as I had. Tears stung my eyes making my vision blurry. I sighed knowing there was nothing I could do.

"Kade... I..."

"Shh! There is nothing we can do. I just want this moment to be..us...not trying to fix things..just us."

The sounds and dogs of the market quickly faded as Kade and I sat hugging each other in silence. Soon the call for us too load broke us apart. I visibly saw his heartbreak at the same time mine broke as well. A tear fell down both of our cheeks.

"We should go," I said letting more tears fall.

"I love you!" Kade said nuzzling passionately.

"I love you too! You will always be my best friend!" I said nuzzling him back.

"You're my best friend too but that's not what I mean. I... love you!" He said more tears falling.

"I love you too!" I cried and hugged him.

Then we parted ways. I knew then that I would not see him for a long time. And I may not ever see him again.

The carts pulled out of the market then turned different directions. I got one last glimpse of Kade in his cart before he disappeared over a hill. My best friend, my love, my Kade was gone.