Chapter 9

I yelped as pain splintered through my body as my back hit the cold and very hard floor.

"Scarlett are you okay!" Atlas asked as he jumps off his bed.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I replied as I slowly stood up and stretch my back out.

"What happened?" Atlas questioned checking me over to make sure I was actually fine.

"I most definitely did NOT fall out of bed because the morning bell surprised me," I said with a dorky puppy smile.

Atlas let out a small chuckled. "Of course not," He smiled with a wink.

As soon as everyone was awake we made our way to the arena for orientation.

"I'll be there in a sec I just have to get something figured out really quick," Atlas said before slipping off.

"Where he going!" Bones twitched.

"I don't know. He said he had to go work something out," I said. Something off about that but I brushed it off quickly.

"Come on guys, we're going to be late!" Champ yipped trotting towards the arena.

"Hey, are we good. We didn't mean to freak you out last night. Well, we did but... uh... No hard feelings?" Saige said from in front of the group.

"Haha yeah, we're good." I laughed in reply.

"Besides, us girls have to stick together," Saige whispered as she slowed down to walk next to me. "I heard there are only five girls in our group and that includes us!" She whispered.

"Wow! That rough," I replied.

Atlas trotted up on the other side of me. "What happened last night?" He asked.

"It's a long st..." I began

"What happens in the room stays in the room! Besides you should have gotten here sooner if you wanted to be part of the fun," Bones barked, appearing out of nowhere.

I laughed and shook my head.

This is going to be a fun year I thought to myself.

Orientation was pretty boring. Basically, we would be here for the next two years. The first year is combat training, endurance training, protocol training, and basic lessons. The second year would be more specific but we would hear about that then. Each room was assigned ahead Guard to train them for the next two years.

I, along with my other bunkmates, was assigned to Officer Wilson. One of the new head guards, because of this Officer Diesel, the head of the head guards, would help out when needed.

After orientation, we made our way to the loud cafeteria for breakfast. It was nothing like deer and rabbit I had at home but the salmon they served was not bad. After breakfast, we followed Officer Wilson through the halls and into a medium-sized classroom.

The class had a few posters on the wall but for the most part, they were empty. There was a large wooden desk at the front of the room and a few small tables and chairs in form of it. Officer Wilson walked in and sat at the larger desk.

"Please have a seat," he said. The dark red dorsal stripe informed us that he was a Rhodesian Ridgeback dog.

"Welcome to Griffin Peak Guard Academy. My name is officer Wilson. I am sure you have all heard I am the newest head guard. Now, this does not mean that you can get by with stuff and you can pick on me. I expect the same respect you would show Officer Diesel. Understood!" He had a shy but soothing voice. It was not at all how I imagined a guard. I always thought of dogs like Officer Diesel: buff, tall, dark, deep-voiced, and tough. Officer Wilson was none of those things. He was quiet, toned, and kind.