5. mission mania

Haley's P.O.V.

It has been a few weeks since we had to bring Otis back to the mainland. Training continued on as normal while Adam, Bree, Chase, Leo, and I went on missions as needed. Right now, we were on a mission rescuing people from a fire. Bree and I were getting everyone out of the fire as quickly as we could. As I geoleaped two more people to safety, Bree ran up behind me with one more person.

"Is that everyone?" I asked her.

"Yeah. Everyone is safe, including one very ungrateful grizzly." She replied. When we heard a beat growl from behind her, she turned around and shouted, "Oh, shut it!"

Bree and I walked over to the boys as Chase was saying, "The fire department can handle it from here. Great work guys!"

That's when everyone around us began to applaud. We all couldn't help but smile as people ran over to us. Reporters shoved microphones in our faces, and fans held out items to be autographed. I still wasn't used to all of this.

"Life is so much better now that we don't have to keep our missions a secret." Adam said to us as he autographed someone's notebook.

"Right? Now people can tell us how great we are right to our faces!" Leo agreed.

"They can also help you guys get your heads out of your butts." I quipped.

Leo just gave me a fake laugh before glaring at me. I just smiled before going back to shaking people's hands.

Suddenly, the people around us started to chant, "Adam, Bree, and Chase! Adam, Bree, and Chase!"

What? Leo and I looked at each other confused while Adam, Bree, and Chase just smiled at each other. What the heck was happening? Were we invisible or something?

"Are you kidding me?" Leo asked annoyed, "I've been going on missions for over a month."

"Yeah, and I've been going on them longer than that. How can these people not know our names?" I agreed annoyed.

Then, Adam placed his hand on my shoulder and said, "Well, maybe you guys should change your names to something people won't forget, like Gorgorio Spearidacus or Pickles O'Malley."

Leo and I just gave him weird looks before looking back out to the crowd. That's when Leo took a step out in front of us.

"Can I have your attention please?" Leo announced to the crowd. When they were all quiet, he motioned to the two of us and continued, "I'd like to point out that Adam, Bree, and Chase weren't the only heroes. Haley and I also helped. I personally saved six people."

There was a pause before the crowd started to chant, "Adam, Bree, Chase, and those two! Adam, Bree, Chase, and those two!"

My arms just flew up in disbelief as Leo just glared at the crowd and said, "Alright, the six people I saved? Back in the fire."

I'm not going to lie, this kind of hurt. I have been keeping my bionics a secret for so long and have been going on missions for a long time, but not getting any appreciation hurts. I'm not trying to be selfish, but I work hard and complete missions the best I can. It's like I'm invisible. Why can't people recognize that I'm helping too?

As annoying as it is, I can't let it hold me back. I just need to do what I was trained to do: save lives.

———

As soon as we got back, Leo and I decided to take a walk to clear our heads. It was still kind of bothering us that we aren't getting recognized for what we do, but I honestly think it's bothering Leo more than me. Leo has been wanting to fight alongside this family for a long time so when he finally gets to, he is the odd man out. It's not fair to him at all.