8. spider island

Haley's P.O.V.

This is hands down going to be the best day I've ever had as a mentor. Davenport took the students, except Leo, on a field trip to Gettysburg for the day so that means Adam, Bree, Chase, and I all have the day off. Bree and I have already established that we are going to spend our day relaxing by the pool. We would relax by the beach, but it was still kind of a mess from the hurricane. So in conclusion, thanks to the hurricane, we're going to relax by the pool that's the size of my fist.

Bree and I walked into the main area to find Leo and Douglas talking. When Leo saw the two of us walk in, he immediately ran over to us and said, "Hey, guys! I ditched the field trip so I could hang out with you guys. What should we do on our day off?"

Bree and I looked at each other confused before looking back at Leo. She repeated, "Our day off? Nope, this is our day off." She motioned to the two of us before continuing, "We've already got it all planned out. I'm going to sit by the pool and read a book. I'd ask you to join us, but I live and work with my family so I'm sick of all of you. That's why Haley is the only person I invited."

"Sorry, Leo, but being a mentor is a lot more stressful than you think." I told him, "We really need this day to relax. Besides, you've never really been one to... relax."

He just gave me a look as Chase walked over to us. Then, Leo asked Chase, "Hey, Chase! Want to hang out?"

"Sorry, Leo. Got to make the most of my day off." Chase apologized quickly before continuing, "I already organized the weapons vault, I alkalized the island's water system, and taught a cute little group of dolphins to wave hello!" He began to show us the motion that he taught the dolphins.

I placed a hand on his shoulder and asked, "Are you sure that was them waving, or was it really them waving frantically at each other to get away from you?"

He just glared at me while I just smiled and hugged him tightly while giving him a kiss on the cheek. He did this to himself. Eventually, he couldn't help, but smile down at me and give me a quick kiss on the lips. Then, he just looked at Leo and replied, "Next up, some light reading." Before she knew it, Chase took Bree's book out of her hand and used his bionics to read through the book very quickly. Once he was done, he gasped and said, "She ended up marrying the vampire? I did not see that coming!"

Bree just huffed in annoyance before yanking the book out of his hands. Then, Adam walked into the room with a large boulder in his hands. Without even questioning it, Leo walked over to him and began, "Hey, Adam-"

"Nope." Adam cut him off.

Leo just stood there stunned for a moment before he turned around and said to Adam, "I didn't even ask you anything yet."

Adam just laughed slightly before saying, "Oh, sorry. Go ahead."

"Thank you!" Leo said before beginning again, "Would you like to-"

"No." Adam cut him off again before turning back to me, Bree, and Chase. Then, he proceeded to tell us about his boulder, "Guys, check out this rock I found on shore! I had to dig it out of an old wooden box of yellow coins and jewelry."

He held up the rock to us, and I immediately cringed when I saw a spider inside of the rock. I absolutely hate spiders. They are scary and super disgusting. One time, there was a spider in my room, and I didn't sleep in there for a week.

Chase looked at Adam's rock for a moment, but then he seemed really interested in it, "Adam, this isn't a rock. It's a fossil! Let me see that thing."

Chase grabbed ahold of the rock, but Adam started to fight him for it. Chase eventually got the rock out of Adam's hand and brought it over to the counter. Douglas walked over to us as Chase placed his finger to his temple and began to scan the fossil. Once he was done, he immediately gasped and looked at us excitedly. We all just gave him weird looks before looking back down at the fossil.