Chapter Ten

I awake to the smell of fresh pancakes, yum. I climb over my bed, over my pillows that were some reason all over my floor and downstairs. That's strange I thought my parents said that they weren't coming back until late this afternoon sense Felix had a game out of town. I walk around the corner and peek into the kitchen. Maybe it was a robber who loved to cook pancakes before they rob your stuff or a serial killer who cooked before they killed you. I blink, was my eyes playing up or lack of sleep. My eyes widen as I take in the scene in front of me. On the island, there were two place mats, a plate each and cutlery. I glance at the little radio above the fridge, the latest tunes were playing. In the middle of the kitchen, in front of the stove, was what shocked me the most. I take in the shorts and top, and see that the heart band-aid was visible on his left shoulder. I could see some faint scars that run down his arms. When he tipped the pan, so that the pancake would slide onto the plate, I could see his knuckles were bruised too. I glance around the room, the windows were wide open letting in the light.

"Are you just gonna stand there or come over and eat," he asks turning around to grin at me. I blink and point at me confused.

"Yes you. I didn't make it for Casper now did I," he says laughing as he puts both plates down. It was a calm moment. I grin and run over, digging into the yummy strawberry pancake. Oh my goodness, this was what heaven tasted like, I'm sure.

"Where did you learn to make this?" I ask Hunter as he digs in. Hunter shifts on the chair awkwardly.

"It's ok you don't have to tell me," I say hurriedly, I felt guilty now that I had ruined the good, peaceful moment. Hunter glances over at me, than stares at his meal. It was quiet, just the tunes that played in the background. I wonder where Hayden had gone to, his door was open when I had came down into the kitchen.

"My father taught me," it was so unexpected that I jumped and fell off the chair landing on my butt hard.

"Damn you Hunter," I complain as I stand up rubbing my now sore butt.

"Sorry," he says trying hard not to laugh, I glare at him as I try and sit back down but it hurts my butt to much. Instead I stand up and resume eating the delicious pancake.

"Your father taught you how to cook," I say, interesting. I noticed that he never spoke much about his family, actually I had never heard him speak about his family.

"Yeah..." Hunter says quietly looking off into the distance. I wonder if maybe his parents died or left him, if that's the case how could you leave such a hot guy.

"His name was Richard, he taught me pretty much everything. He was such a good guy..." he trails off sadly. I noticed that he had used past tense meaning that his dad must have died.

"I'm sorry," I say uselessly, why did I always ruin a good day. The morning was going good and now I had reminded Hunter about his dead father. Hunter looks over at me, with a sad small smile.

"I want to tell you.. But I just can't," he says quietly, his eyes were down-cast. They weren't the usual bright blue but were now a dark grey blue color.

"It's ok, I'll always be here for you," I say grabbing his hand that was closest to me and giving it a tight squeeze. Hunter looks down at our joined hands, I blink they fit perfectly together. No I can't think about this now, he's thinking of his father which means you should be sad not happy that your tiny hand fits inside his big one. I quickly take my hand back, I grab my plate instead and put it in the sink. I ran the water, taking a deep breathe. When I turn around Hunter wasn't sitting down but was instead leaning against the wall holding two controllers out. He was ragged looking, tough like with the scars and bruising skin. His long dark hair was curly at the ends, his blue eyes were bright again, he was smiling.