Chapter 9

The wolf cringed in fear, retreating backwards away from us. I ran to Claire as soon as I could and wrapped her in in my arms. I sighed with relief as her cuts were already healing, she really was the fastest healer I’ve ever seen.

    “Ginny!” Percy yelled running to me with two wolves chasing after him. I gasped watching as they violently snapped at him. I let go of Claire and stood up quickly pulling Percy behind me as the wolves charged at us. I backed away closing my eyes when they jumped in the air lunging at me. I waited for the impact of them to knock me to the ground but it didn’t come. I peeked under my lashes as loud growling broke through.

  Wes was being circled by the wolves, his eyes darting between the both of them and then quickly over at me. Fear washed over me as I watched them closing in on him. The fear was so much more than when I was being attacked. This fear, I felt, could kill me.  I had to do something, but what? Think Ginny! I screamed at myself. I looked around the forest for something to throw at them but came up empty. I mean there was a few sticks but what would that do to a werewolf? Absolutely nothing.

  Before I even gave it a second thought I jumped on one of the wolves, pulling at his fur he howled in agony. Wes’s head whipped to face me and the wolf behind him lunged, “NO!” I screamed, “Wes!” This can not be happening! I jumped off the wolf and ran to Wes who was laying on the ground. “Wes! Please, no.”

He looked up at me and growled flipping us over so he was standing over me taking out a wolf that took advantage of me being distracted and tried to kill me. Now it was even, one on one and I had no doubt in my mind Wes could beat him too. I tried pushing myself up but Wes growled pushing me down. I sighed and looked over at Percy as he held Claire, who was unconscious in his arms. He looked so scared.

His eyes met mine and I mouthed I love you to him, making a tear roll down his cheeks. He gasped as I felt Wes’s warm body leave mine, I flipped around and watched as Wes took down the wolf. I crawled to Percy quickly giving him a hug, taking his eyes away from his brother. I closed my eyes and braced myself as a crunching sound rang out.

   I felt a wet snout on my shoulder and I quickly opened my eyes as tingles flowed through my body. I turned around and wrapped my arms around his neck, nuzzling my face into his fur. He gave a low growl of approval making me smile. Everything he said, everything he’s done the last few days forgotten in that moment.

“Thank you.” I whispered.  He licked my neck and I laughed pushing him away from me. “Wes...” I smiled and he barked at me happily.

His eyes became dark and sad all of a sudden and took off into the trees back to the pack house. That was weird, my heart pinged in hurt when I couldn’t see him anymore. I picked up Claire from Percy’s arms and he stood as close to me without touching me.

“Ginny?” Percy asked as we walked.    

“Yeah Perc?” I asked looking down at him. He was fidgeting with his hands nervously.

“Is she going to be alright?” He asked after a moment of silence. His eyes held such sadness in them they made me want to cry.

I nodded smiling softly at him, “She’s going to be fine. She’s already healing.”

He nodded looking down at his feet, “I tried to save her.” He whispered his voice cracking.