Chapter 32: The Price To Pay

Lia James

Despite the very late night last night because of the party, I managed to get out of bed. That was until I felt so tired that I had to at least rest my eyes for a good minute. Two minutes. Okay, maybe fifteen minutes. My body ached for more sleep, and I hate being deprived of that. I wanted to go home so bad, but Mason and Lina all encouraged me to stay. Fortunately for me, Eli offered me a ride home and brought me home along with Andrew, Nick, and Julian, who were all sleeping at Andrew's house tonight.

Aunt Alex had to vigorously get me out of bed, almost shaking me awake. I had to tell her that it was a late night last night, due to the party, but she didn't exactly understand. She gave me my breakfast, an egg sandwich, and sent me on my way. That was the first time I ever ate and drove while in a rush.

Now, we are about halfway into practice, and I can already feel dizzy. I have been periodically guzzling my gatorade to make sure that I at least have some energy, but nothing seems to be helping. Especially when Tori is running her mouth on overtime today.

"James! What are you doing? You just missed a ball three feet away from you! Get your ass back in gear!" Coach yelled from the dugout, his fingers digging into the holes of the fence.

"Yeah, James. What the hell? Why are you so off today?" Tori turned her back to me to grab the ball that I failed to catch.

"I'm sorry, I had a late night last night." I'm not even sure why I'm apologizing to her.

"Oh, right. Mason's party? Should've guessed it since you're wrapped around his finger." She rolls her eyes, playing with the yellow ball in her glove. I pat the dirt off my softball pants.

"I'm not wrapped around his finger, we're friends. Best friends, actually." I corrected her.

"Oh sorry! My bad!" She replied sarcastically, and I take a step back completely annoyed.

I wanted to tell her what she wanted to hear. "Well, that's too bad because Andrew Price was there."

She froze, her mouth dropped open at that fact. I can see the look in her eyes, almost jealousy...envy. She wanted to be at that party, but she was probably too busy smoking weed or something.

"He was? What was she wearing?"

So now she's invested in the conversation?

"He was dressed as Danny from Grease. It's sooo perfect for him, don't you think?" I gush, putting my hand over my heart.

"You must've seen everything in that costume. Gosh! I wish I was there."

"But it gets better..." I put my finger out to shush her.

"Why? Did something happen? What happened?"

"Oh, nothing. Just that Andrew broke up with Shelby at the party. It was such a huge scandal. Now he's single, and ready to mingle." I twirl my hair obnoxiously, seeing her mood skyrocket.

"No way! Really?! Oh my gosh!" She squealed like a school girl on drugs, riding a bull and then falling off a cliff.

"You should go get him." I nudged her arm hard, but she didn't stumble the slightest.

"James! Fan! Stop gossiping like girls and get your head back in the game! Tori, your the pitcher, you need to get your team back into focus." Coach scolds Tori for getting side-tracked. She rolls her eyes, and then walks over to the mound.

We practiced hitting drills, and catching drills until the last fifteen minutes of practice. I was still sluggish, but that didn't stop me from hyping up Tori, and her six foot tall hard exterior gone soft self.