Chapter 77: Prom Night At Hater High [Part 1]

Lia James

I've always had this fantasy about Prom. I dreamt I would get ready the whole day, pampering myself until I had to go. I would stand at the top of the stairs while my date looked at me from the bottom with a smile. I would take his hand, and we would go to our limo and dance the night away. Maybe steal a kiss or two.

That was the dream, and now that I'm here I feel funny for even thinking like that. It's been a few weeks, and I had finally got out of the wretched bandaging. They kept me in a brace, and I had to go to physical therapy at least four times a week. It was gruesome, but in order for me to get back on track it was needed.

I can only picture me hobbling down the stairs to Andrew, and him holding me while I limped to his Audi. All of our friends in cars together, driving and singing songs at the top of their lungs. And I was stuck in pain.

This is nothing like I predicted.

Lina woke me up at six in the morning and demanded for me to get my ass up, which I did reluctantly. We both got dressed and she took Jade and I to the salon for our seven-thirty nail appointment. Jade gets red acrylics, Lina gets pink, and I get french tips.

I thought it would go best with my outfit for tonight.

"So, who's getting it on tonight after Prom?" Lina said giddily while staring at her nails. We had just got into the car following our nail appointment. My toes were in flip-flops with freshly pedicured nails.

"Not me." I said.

"Nada." Jade shook her head.

"What? Why not?"

"Because some of us aren't as horny as you, Lina." I insulted and earned a laugh from Jade.

Huh. She's laughing at my joke.

That's a first. She usually makes a dirty look my way or rolls her eyes.

Progress?

"Hey! I'm not horny all the time." She tries to defend herself, but we don't believe her.

"Yes you are. You're like the female version of a Fabio." Jade burst out laughing, and she and I high-fives.

"Not funny, guys". Lina huffed out a breath, slumping in her seat.

"I'm waiting until marriage. So, sorry." I put my hand on her shoulder.

"Me too." Jade spoke, and I whipped my head toward her curiously.

"Really?"

"Yeah, well Jace and I are getting married in a month. We told each other we wanted to wait until after the wedding. The whole sexual tension thing is hard but I know when we wait it'll be....intense."

I cringed.

"You mean explosive?" Lina corrected. "Man, I wish I would've waited. The sexual tension thing is so hot."

"You and Cole?"

"We haven't yet." She looked down. "I was referring to my sociopathic ex."

I nodded slowly, getting the idea.

"What about you Lia? Why do you want to wait?" Jade asked me.

"My Dad scarred me into waiting. He, very vividly, described his teen pregnancy journey with me and I was scarred for life. I'm just afraid of what might happen if I do, since, you know, accidents happen in my family. I would know...I'm one of them."

"Your Dad loves you regardless of what was an accident and what wasn't. I'm sure if he had the chance to relive it again, he would do it the same way every time." Lina assured me, expressing a smile.