Chapter 36: The Ultimate Betrayal

Lia James

"Lia, listen to me."

"Lia, is this true?"

"You were just a pawn to his plan, Lia. He never liked you. It was simple: take down Mason by taking one of his best friends and turning her against him."

"Shut the fuck up Shelby!"

Pawn. Just a pawn. Not even the king or queen, just the pawn. The user.

Everyone's voices around me turned into an echo, almost like they were voices in my mind. They made my head spin, and I felt dizzy from being overwhelmed.

I've never wanted to burst out crying more in my entire life. I kept repeating to myself that I needed to suck it up, and be calm instead of letting the pain in my heart take over. But I just keep being reminded of everyone turning their backs on me.

Or me turning my back on them.

I knew spending time with Andrew would somehow backfire on me with Mason. But I wanted to prove to him that he wasn't as bad as Mason thought he was. The constant fighting and rivalry was sickening, and I wanted it to come to an end before someone got hurt.

And here I am, getting exactly what I didn't want happening.

I look back at my group of friends. The ones who have stuck with me since I got here, and have had my back. They are all clustered in a group, separating themselves from me. I look back at them with apology written in my eyes, and they can't even stand to make solid eye contact.

I broke them. All of them.

"You guys. I'm sorry." I bow my head, looking at the ground with shame.

"You should be!" Jade storms up to me, crossing her arms like she's trying to protect everyone. "I've never liked you, ever since I met you."

She walks away, grabbing Jace's arm who gives me a glare.

"You should be ashamed of yourself." He tells me before leaving with Jade. 2 less friends I now have as of right now.

"Ryan." I look at him, the only one who seems sympathetic towards the situation.

"Lia, you know about our past. You know what the repercussions were going to be when we found out about this. I'm sorry, Lia, I can't forgive you on my behalf and Mason's. You should've been more smart about this." I reach toward him, a tear slowly trailing down my cheek.

He brushes me off, leaving the building along with Jade and Jace. Another friend I've lost.

"Shit, Lia, this is so fucked right now." Ollie walks up to me, brushing his hands through his hair.

"I know, and I'm sorry."

"The thing is, you should've said that to Mason and not me." He shrugs before glaring at Andrew, who is standing behind me. He hasn't said a word since my friends have starting dropped like flies.

Cole walks up to me next, and it's almost like he was crying. That made things even worse.

"Cole." I can't even formulate a sentence, without crying my eyes out. Tears have soaked my cheeks and my dress. My eyes burn, and I can't feel my toes. I'm just a mess.

"I can't believe you did this...why?" He glades at me with despair, something I've never seen in him before.

Cole has always been the upbeat, positive, clown and this side makes me feel like I've truly broken them. I did the unspeakable, and Cole is close with both Lina and Mason, almost as if they're triplets. He's feeling exactly what Mason's feeling, except Mason is masked with anger and hatred.