Chapter Two

Grissom was leaving work with the usual group when he found Ruby waiting by his car.

"Told you she thought you were cute," Nick said with a smirk.

"What are you doing here?" He asked once he was near her.

The others stood off to the side to watch. "Who is that?" Sara asked.

"Ruby, the seal feeder/fish expert," Nick answered.

Warrick's head slowly turned to Nick. "That's the fish chick you were talking about?"

"Oh ya." Nick smiled; Warrick gave a whistle.

Ruby glanced at the people behind him, "Are you busy? I can come back another time."

"I'm not."

"Papi's throwing his famous BBQ this weekend. I was wondering if you'd be interested in coming. Your entourage is invited as well. The more the merrier."

Looking back at his co-workers then back to her, "I'll run it by the others and see if they want to come."

"I will owe you big time if you do come by. It would be really nice to have a normal face around for once."

Grissom nodded, "I will make sure to come then

"Thanks and don't forget I owe you big time."

Grissom pulled to a house full of cars. He could hear music playing in the backyard as he got out of his vehicle.

A man with brown curly shaggy hair that came past his ears walked up next to Grissom. "You must be Ruby's friend Mr. Grissom." He looked over at the man who was holding two large ice bags. "I'm Ruby's other father - the one she refers to as Papi, but you can call me Phillip."

"Let me help you." Grissom went for one of the bags.

Papi handed him one. "Thanks. It's nice to see one of Ruby's friends come by. Not very many do." Papi made his way to the backyard.

"Is that so?" Grissom followed.

Papi looked over his shoulder, "It's hard to find people who are comfortable being around two gay dads that dress in drag. And at these get-togethers, it's come as you please. Some come in drag, others don't."

When they reached the backyard Grissom saw the crowd. Some were stunning and all dolled up while some were just there as men. There were women scattered around as well; the kind that looked like they ran with that kind of crowd. He saw Ruby, in a bright pink flowy baby doll dress and matching flip flops, lounging on a hammock with someone. When she saw Grissom, Ruby jumped up immediately and rushed to him.

"Yay, you came! The others didn't want to come?" She inquired when she noticed that Gil was the only one around.

Setting the ice down where Papi had told him. "They had some plans already."

Ruby shrugged. "Their loss. I see you met Papi all ready."

"And it's a shame you are straight. You're cute." Papi smiled.

Ruby gasped. "Geez, Papi are you trying to scare away the one guy friend I can get to come over here?" Taking Grissom by the wrist and pulling him away.

"So you don't get many friends coming by." He stated.

"Not guys, at least when I was growing up here. Girls were ok with it because they got some great fashion and make-up advice. Oh and I'm sorry about Papi." She took a seat at an empty picnic bench.

Grissom sat next to her. "No need to apologize. How long have you been here in America?" He asked.

"I was 15 when I came over. Papi tried to play it straight for a very long time. He ended up getting a girl pregnant when he was in Ireland and realized that it wasn't for him. He helped my mother out all the time and I would visit him or he would come and visit me. He wanted to be a part of my life as much as possible. Then he met Michael when I was 10 and they have been together ever since. Then my mother met this guy and they got married. The two of them decided to move to Italy and I didn't want to go. They said either go with them or come here with Papi. I've been here ever since." Ruby said.