Chapter Nine

Ruby came by to bring food for Hodges. "Where's Eliza?" He asked, reaching in the bag. "I thought she was dropping this off."

"Her mother has the flu and she didn't want to give it to you if she has it since she's been over there taking care of her." She answered.

"So how's it going with your mother around?" He asked, his mouth full after taking a few bites.

"Crazy. If it isn't her going on about her fiancé, it's her asking about Gil and myself. And swallow your food before you speak, that is disgusting." Ruby reached over to cover his mouth.

He laughed. "You probably just have to get used to her being around again."

"Ugh I know and it sucks that you're right. Oh! Hey, I was supposed to let you know that you're coming with Eliza to see me in the pageant."

Hodges swallowed. "I am?"

"You guys are all invited. I was going to come by anyways to invite ya. So I better get to searching for everyone." She waved bye as she bounced out of the room.

Sara was the last person she found "You are inviting me to a beauty pageant?" She sounded a little disgusted by the thought.

"I know it's probably the last thing you would like to do on one of your days off, but I owed Gil big time and he picked this as his favor. So why not make the most of it? Come; rag on everyone in the pageant which would involve me too. It's a freak show and seeing the pageant moms is the most entertaining thing ever."

Shrugging, Sara replied, "I don't know."

"Well, maybe we can hang out sometime," Ruby suggested.

Sara looked up and down the hall. "I'm not sure about that."

"Well can't say that I didn't try some to level the ground for us to be friends. It's a two-way street here Sara. I figured for at least Gil's sake you'd try and get along with the girl he's interested in. You are his friend after all." Ruby stuffed her hands in her sweatshirt pockets and went for Gil's office.

Ruby stood in the doorway watching Grissom work. "It's rude to stare." He commented as he looked up at her.

"Not when you're cute." Ruby took a seat in one of the empty chairs in the office.

Grissom adjusted his glasses. "What brings you here?"

"You, silly, and the fact that I dropped something off for David."

Leaning on his desk, Grissom asked, "How are things going with your mother?"

"All right, it's weird having her around. I don't know what to do. I don't even know what to talk to my mom about."

"What do you mean you don't know what to talk to your mother about?"

Ruby shrugged. "She wants to talk like I haven't been living with her, but dad and Papi since I was 15. She keeps asking why couldn't I pick someone my own age; then I smile and tell her it's only because you're good in the sack and it shuts her up every time."

Grissom dropped his pen. "Excuse me."

Ruby laughed as Grissom picked his pen up. "Sorry Gil, but I had to tell her something to get her off my back. She constantly questions me like a 5-year-old."

"I'm sure there was another way to get her to stop." He suggested.

Placing a hand on her chest, Ruby cooed, "Awe that is so cute you thought that. I wanted to tell you that the day of the pageant will be hectic I might not be able to talk with you. So, Tim, the guy you met our first date will meet you, Hodges, Eliza and whoever else that is coming outside of where the pageant is."