Chapter Eight

Ruby stood. "What are you doing here?" She asked.

Grissom looked between the two women. He now knew where Ruby got her looks from.

Her mother placed her hands on her hips. "Now don't be rude; introduce me to your friend."

"Gil this is my mother Luanne; mom this is my friend Gil." She introduced as they shook hands.

By now her dads had shown up. "Luanne what brings you here?" Papi asked.

"It's been ages," Michael added.

The two each gave her a hug. "I was in town." She answered.

"Mom, you live in Italy," Ruby said.

Grissom placed a hand on her arm. "I'm going to see what Hodges is up to." He left the four to go find him.

"Mom, why are you really here?" Ruby asked.

Wetting her lips, Luanne replied, "Well I came to tell you in person that William and I split a few years ago, and I met this new guy Luis and we're to be married next month. I want you to be my maid of honor."

"For real? Why?" Ruby's jaw dropped.

"Because you're my daughter."

Ruby shook her head. "I'm sorry mother but no. I'll attend your wedding, but I do not want to be your maid of honor."

Her mom tilted her head out of confusion. "But why?"

Sighing, Ruby replied, "Because you're family, but only to the extent of the fact you gave birth to me and I happened to live with you for 15 years. But you forfeited everything when you decided to move to Italy giving me an ultimatum of there or with my fathers. Dad and Papi are my real family now. They have been for years. They were there when I had my heart broken for the first time when I graduated high school and college. Even after I sent you invites to both of them; you were a no show. They were there for all of the beauty pageant competitions; right next to me when I lost telling me we'll get them next time. And they were there throwing me a party when I got the job at the aquarium. Do you even know what my degree is in?" She shook her head no. "Exactly mother. I have a degree in marine sciences. I am honored that you thought of me to be your maid of honor, but it's something for someone who knows you better than I."

"Are you sure?" Luanne asked.

Her dads moved to either side of Ruby. "Yeah, sweetie. Are you sure?" Michael asked.

"Yes. Maid of honor should be given to another and not because I'm your daughter." Ruby went to go find Grissom.

She found him over by the horseshoes. "What did you mother want?" He asked.

"She wanted me to be her maid of honor in her second wedding."

Facing her, Grissom asked, "What did you say?"

"Told her no." She answered.

"Why?" Gil asked.

Watching Hodges toss a horseshoe, Ruby replied, "She's only picking me out of convenience."

"Convenience." He repeated.

Ruby nodded. "Yeah, convenience. Don't get me wrong I love her because she is my birth mother, she gave me life and a place to live the first 15 years of my life, but we were never that close. I'm closer to Hodges than I am her."

"Are you attending her wedding at least?" He asked.

Ruby shrugged. "Probably. Which means I have to locate my passport since I'll be heading to Italy for it."