Chapter Four

Hodges was looking through some paperwork when he heard a knock on the door. Looking up he saw Ruby standing in the door way holding a present.

"I felt bad for not getting you anything on your birthday. Took awhile to find something I thought you might like; so I took a shot in the dark with it. I hope you like it." Handing him the gift as she sat on the stool next to him.

Opening it, Hodges said, "I think whatever it is, it's good."

He pulled out a medium box, when he got that open he found a silver horseshoe keychain. On the horseshoe, it said champions and the day and year of Hodges birthday.

"A friend of mine does engravings. So when I found the keychain, I thought it would be cool to make the day we became horseshoe gods."

Looking up at her, "This is really nice for just meeting a few days ago."

"Fine, if it's too much I can always take it back." Ruby reached for the gift.

Hodges pulled it quickly away from her. "I said it was nice for meeting a few days ago, not that I wanted to return it. That would be rude."

Giggling, "Thought so. Is Grissom around? I wanted to say hi before I left."

"Should be in his office probably," Hodges answered.

Ruby hopped off the stool. "Thanks, I'll see you around." She gave him a hug before leaving.

Hodges watched her bounce out of the room in search of his boss. When she couldn't find him she decided to leave. Ruby found Sara at her car on the way out.

"May I help you?" Ruby asked.

Pushing off the car, Sara said, "Listen I know I came off harsh at Hodges party, but Gil is a dear friend of mine. He's family like all the others I work with."

"Geez, Sara how insecure are you? What even made you think I would take Gil from you in first the place? He is the one who after a case came and talked to me. Did you know that? Yes I flirted with him when he and Nick swung by the aquarium. But I figured nothing will come of it because of the age difference." She shrugged.

Crossing her arms, "Then why flirt?" Sara asked.

"Because it's fun and Gil just seemed really sweet and cute. Besides he didn't have to come to the BBQ when I invited him and the rest of you guys too. And he knows to tell me that I should hang out with people my own age if he and I as friends were inappropriate in any way. But what's wrong and inappropriate in my world? I have two dads who love me to death and would kill for me, who happens to dress in drag. Not to mention my entire family is a night club of drag queens. To me, that is totally appropriate."

Sara tilted her head, "What BBQ?"

"The one awhile back when Nick and Gil were working on the one case that brought them to the aquarium. I invited all of you guys. When he showed he said that you guys had plans."

Sara took a breath, "Well he didn't say anything to us. But what I don't get is why Gil? Why not be friends with someone your own age?"

"Gil and the rest of you guys are the first normal friends I have had. I don't meet many like Gil who is perfectly fine with my family and has an odd intelligence like him." Climbing in her car, she drove off.

Grissom stopped by the aquarium in search of Ruby; he found her giving a tour to a group of middle school kids. They were in the tube where fish swam all around them and the only light was the blue that came from the water. The place really made you feel like you were actually under water.

Ruby smiled at Grissom when she saw him before addressing the kids, "Ok have a ten minute look around before Luke comes by and takes you to see Matilda and Timmy the dolphins then you will get to go see Starlet the killer whale." The kids cheered as they ran to the windows getting a better view of all the fish.