Chapter Three

Ruby didn't realize that she was holding her breath until she heard, "Hey Ruby get down here! We need you as one of our judges! Gil is more than welcome to be one if he likes!" It was Michael yelling down from the bottoms of the steps.

"We better go" Her voice was so light she wondered if Gil heard what she had said.

She led the way down as they returned to the backyard. They sat at the end of the table as Ruby was one of the judges. She told Grissom who each person was as they came on stage. He watched each one of them come up and do some talent they had. Some made people laughed some had them in awe of their talents, but each person had something unique when they came up.

It was late when things died down, Ruby walked with Grissom to his car. "Thanks so much for coming. I owe you for this."

Sticking his hands in his pockets, Grissom nodded. "Anytime."

"Just to warn you I am not doing something ridiculous though as your favor." She pointed at him.

Grissom smiled. "How can you judge what is ridiculous? Your ridiculous could be different from mine. Look at where you had grown up."

"Hey my ridiculous can be just as normal as yours." Grissom looked over his glasses at her. "Ugh you're right, my ridiculous is completely warped....so what happened earlier today up in my room? Was I imagining things or was there something that happened?"

He was silent for a few minutes. "Maybe."

"Well, maybe we can do something another time to see where it might lead us. What do you think?"

"Maybe." He smirked climbing into the car. Ruby watched him roll the window down. "I'll call you tomorrow."

She watched him drive away before returning to the backyard to help her parents. "Looks like you two are possibly more than just friends," Papi said once was within earshot.

She grabbed a trash bag in each hand. "Thanks for spying on me."

"What do you even know about this guy? Besides the fact he works for CSI and is quite a few years older than you are."

Ruby sighed. "If I recall you did not know dad that well when the two of you hooked up; if memory serves me right you both hooked up before the first date."

"Which you were never meant to know. We always wanted you to be sensible."

She dropped the bags. "And the more you tell me this the more I don't want to be sensible. I'm trying, but it's kind of hard since I really like him."

Papi went over and placed both hands on his daughter's face. "I know, I see the way you look at him. I just don't want to see you hurt if it doesn't work in your favor."

"Thank you. Now we have to hurry and clean up, I have to get up early tomorrow. I have two school tours. One in the morning and one in the afternoon."

Papi clapped his hands. "Chop, chop then."

"You are such a loser sometimes." Ruby laughed.

Ruby finished her tour with the school in the morning just in time for lunch. She tried giving Grissom a call to see what he was up to, but she got no pickup. Getting something quick, she got back and ready for her next tour. A few days passed and Ruby hadn't heard from Grissom since the BBQ.

Grissom was in his office talking with Sara and Nick when Ruby walked in. Hands on her hips, she declared, "We need to talk now."

"I'm in the middle of something at the moment." He told her.

Ruby pointed at the two, "Hold tight for five seconds ok?" She looked back at Grissom. "I understand that this is new for us, but my God man you don't have a moment like we did then tell them you will call them tomorrow only to leave them hanging. I mean come on it's not like I have been that crazy girl that calls every five seconds leaving hundreds of messages. I have only called once and left one message. So what's this reason that is making it so hard for you to call someone?"