Demon Kiss Freckles

Yamaguchi stared at his phone.

He went home after school so that his mother wouldn't start saying that she hadn't seen him all week—because she'd be right. As much as he wanted to snuggle with his crush through the night, he was also glad he actually slept well.

But Tsukki had texted him sometime in the middle of the night.

Tsukki!!!!!!!!!!!
(4:57am)
I dreamed you were in my bed so I was disappointed when I woke up and you weren't

And so he stared at his phone.

Tsukki must be delusional. What did that mean?

The blocker was probably half asleep when he texted that.

He tried not to be too incredibly happy about it. Misplaced joy might cause problems.

He texted back: we can snuggle again soon, Tsukki! See you in a bit!! ^w^

He still hugged his pillow and squeezed it hard as he buried a grin in its fabric. He could forget they were only friends if only for a second.

oOoOoOo

Yama started walking to school, stopping as soon as he reached Tsukkis house. They were only a couple blocks away from each other. Had he woken up when Tsukki sent that text he might have made the short journey.

Tsukki walked out a few moments later, joining his friend.

"Good morning, Tsukki!" Yama smiled at him, lightly bumping their arms together.

Tsukki glanced at him and yawned a, "morning," before starting to head to school.

They walked quietly for a few moments, enjoying each other's company. They didn't need to talk to be comfortable.

"Hey, Tsukki..." Yamaguchi broke the silence, stopping in his tracks.

Tsukki stopped and looked back at him, his usual apathetic expression, "hm?"

"Before we get to school..." he closed the space between them, wrapping his arms around the taller boy's torso and pulling him close in a hug.

Tsukki slowly wrapped his arms around Yama's shoulders before squeezing him tightly, "...did you miss me, too?"

Yama looked at him with a grin, "of course! You're my favorite person, Tsukki!"

And Tsukki paused for a second, suddenly feeling very light on his feet.

W éÏ. R—d ! ?

It was unfamiliar and that made him more curious about what that meant for him. What that meant for others— If it could be like this with anyone else. But he didn't mind not knowing for the moment as he stared back at Yama, his eyes shining like stars.

And he couldn't help it when he leaned in and kissed his friend lightly, with no intention other than existing in that moment.

And Yama's eyes fluttered closed as soon as those lips touched—instead of before. His insides almost escaped from his being— he could swear that for a second he felt something like love, or was he dreaming? Was he hoping? Was it just him?

Maybe it didn't matter.

If I see but one smile on your lips when we meet, occasioned by this or any exertion of mine, I shall need no other happiness.

oOoOoOo

Tsukki liked watching Yama scribble during class. He would often write poems in his notes, or take whole pages for them. He could never actually read them, but he could tell they were poems with the way he lined the words up. He could especially tell during math, with the words juxtaposed with the numbers and Xs.